Sorta OT, sorta not

Doc B. · 2403

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: April 29, 2014, 06:04:25 PM
Some of you may know that PJ owned a BMW R50/5 from new. He rode for many years, then loaned it to a friend for a while, and then it ended up in his garage for some 30 odd years. Every once in a while he would suggest that he ought to pass it on to someone who would refurbish it and use it.

Well, last year PJ talked to PB and Peebs was very excited to take it on. A few things got in the way of getting the bike into PBs hands, but that happened a couple of months ago. And PB went after it with his usual take no prisoners approach to doing a project. The result is below, not quite complete but 90% refurbed, repainted, rideable and looking and sounding very good - sort of a BottleBeemer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:19:22 PM
Nice, I rode an R60 for years, bent it a little. Now MQ Mike has it. Should ask if he wants to sell it back...

Still have my trusty 88 R100-GS
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:37:14 PM by 2wo »

John S.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:23:33 PM
Very nice, i love to see tasteful restorations, honest and original and not overdone.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:11 PM
One of these days Doc B. will get his Honda all wrapped up and we can go for a ride! (If he goes easy on the throttle)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:27:24 AM
Mine is in pieces at the moment, but here are a couple of shots of when I was fitting parts from other models to the bike.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:54:45 AM
PB did a beautiful job on the old bike - makes me happy! It's a good thing there are no "before" shots ...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:33:12 AM
Hah, you shouldn't have said anything.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 05:40:18 AM
Still looking good for the age of the bike!  I've always loved that style!

Aaron Johnson

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:23:52 AM
I like the look of those old BMW bikes, I haven't ridden a motorbike for around 15 years now.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline butchbass

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:58:05 AM
Seeing this bike reminds me of the time I wrecked my room mates R75/5. I took it for a ride one night in 1975 after work. A german shepherd ran out from behind a hedgerow and the last thing I can remember was thinking " O s--t!". I came to in the hospital about 8 hours later after having my spleen removed. Yep, fond memories of that bike. Minor damage was done to the bike, mostly the faring was destroyed. Only cost about $350.00 back then to buy a new faring and fix a few minor issues.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline Hornet900

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:27:43 AM
I still see very old BMW bikes ridden around London,  they Look cool seems people don't let them go easy.   

The newer BMW tourers have  been a top selling bike  in the UK for years now thanks to ewan mcgregor Long way round...Great watch if you haven't  seen it.

I've only ridden one BMW bike I can't remember the model its very old s1200gs model .. black and yellow,  like a space ship.. I'm short person :)

I'll tell you a story about a famous motorcycle adventurer names Austin Vince lives local to me.

I meet Austin Vince at a motorcycle show in london,   I didn't know he lived local at the time.....My dad walks up to him and says my sons names Austin too, he made a joke infront of everyone and embarrassed me  ;D  I recognized him at the show only because Ive seen him on TV discovery channel with history programs and didn't know he was a biker at the time or lived near me.

2 weeks later I'm out on the bike going to visit a friend fishing.... I come round a muddy corner near the lake and Austin Vince is blasting towards me and gives me this  funny wave and up a head  his crew filming him for a  new video. ....I was shocked at the time seeing him there with only just seeing him 2 weeks before ,   I was wondereing what the hell  is he doing round here... I didnt stop talk i was shocked seeing him !
Anyway I go home and find his website  emailed him saying I saw him today he then tells me he lives in harefield really local to me and said I'll be in his new movie :)

Now sometimes I see him out on the road and he always gives me the funny wave  :)
His videos are also excellent watch.... do any of you read http://www.advrider.com/  its a great website the ride report diary's ..I would love to travel the world by bike  :)

And great to see you are bikers!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:31:31 AM by Hornet900 »

Austin

Offline bobster

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:35:01 AM
Looks a lot like a toaster on two wheels.

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline richardl

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 10:33:34 PM
Paul, you did a great job with that bike.   And yes, I have seen the "before" several times in PJ's basement.   I tried to get him going on it but, he just didn't want to.  A lot of work and a beautiful result!   I am so glad to see such a beautiful bike restored so well.

We will have to ride out to Dan's sometime together.  I just replaced my battery for the umpteenth time and am ready to go when it stops raining.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:41:06 AM
Careful what you offer, I may put a wrench in your hand if you show up. If this weather lets up I might get to paint my frame and finally start putting things together instead of taking them apart. Today I'm finishing up the swingarm and rear hugger. I've been trying to recall which model Duc you have.

Edit - adding a couple of pics here so that I can link them in another forum - more of the vinyl wrap I've been working on.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:05:27 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 06:50:52 AM

We will have to ride out to Dan's sometime together.  I just replaced my battery for the umpteenth time and am ready to go when it stops raining.

If I'm going to keep up with you, I'll have to take the red bike!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man