help please

bjorgens · 4265

Offline bjorgens

Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 07:01:33 AM
Pulled ps board, and PT is oriented properly according to the sticker.  Is there a way to verify the decal is affixed properly?

B

Bryan Jorgensen

VPI Traveler (Ortofon 2M Bronze)
Coffman Labs G1A preamp/phono/ headphone amp
Paramount 300B monoblocks
First Watt F4 clone
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe speakers and subwoofer
Cardas cabled Sennheiser 600s

Offline bjorgens

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:44 AM
I just noticed that even though the PT is oriented properly in the top plate relative to the sticker, it is 180 out with respect to images on page 43 of manual.  Ie manual shows 3 leftmost pins soldered, then one unsoldered, then two right pins soldered.  My PT is mirror image of that.

Bryan Jorgensen

First Watt F4 clone

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 12:35:52 PM
Measure the resistances; that will tell if the transformer is rotated, and if not, whether the windings are good.

Paul Joppa

Offline bjorgens

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 01:24:17 PM
I really need to apologize Paul...
Assuming you are referring to the primary and HV secondary resistances, I must admit that I'm not sure i follow your earlier guidance.  Does the PS board need to be soldered to the PT to check these?

In the interests of my ignorance, could you dumb it down to "put black probe here , red probe there" level? 

Again... Apologies.
Bryan

Bryan Jorgensen

First Watt F4 clone

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 03:34:28 PM
Oh, man, we seem to have been cross-posting more than once this thread - sorry if my notes seem out of sequence!

To measure primary resistance, pull the power plug from the wall socket. Insert a new fuse (sorry about all the fuses!) Connect one lead of the ohm meter to one blade of the power plug. Connect the other lead of the ohm meter to the other blade of the power plug. Ignore the round pin on the power plug. (I assume you are using US-type power cord...). Switch the amp on. Read the meter.

But from your last post, it's just what I was afraid of - the label is on the transformer backwards. Make the primary resistance measurement as above, and if it shows a low resistance (less than 1 ohm) then the theory above is confirmed.

Assuming that's the case, pull the PSU board off the transformer - again - and throw it away, then rotate the transformer and see if you can't rotate the label too. The transformer is almost certainly just fine, the fuse has protected it. However, removing and re-installing the PSU board is hard on the board and I think you should just replace it. Email Eileen Monday and tell her PJ said we owe you a new PSU board with all the parts.

We apologize for the annoyance - we really do feel bad when this happens.

Paul Joppa

Offline bjorgens

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 06:49:16 PM
Thanks Paul

Will advise if I find anything contrary to this with the resistance check, and no apologies necessary whatsoever.  Appreciate all your help! 

Cheers

Bryan

Bryan Jorgensen

First Watt F4 clone

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:52 AM
Bryan,

A flipped label on the power transformer is most likely the problem here -- it happens, but very rarely and you got one of those, I'm sure.

Once you flip the transformer and get the new PS board, you should be good to go.

It will happen!

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)