Tube Envy

Aural Robert · 1439

Offline Aural Robert

on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:30 AM
I decided to build my Paramounts as 2A3s and pulled the trigger on a pair of JJ's. Highly recommended, definitely smoother than my Sovteks right out of the box. Seems to be a high quality built tube as well - much heavier glass envelope. I've attached a comparison photo.

Finally got my Paramounts running, after almost a year groan!!! I still have to finish the bases. They do sound sweeeet. Dead quiet too.

Aural Robert

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42:37 PM
With the 2A3-40, you can follow the instructions for wiring the FC-1 for 2A3 operation and hooking it up to the power supply for the 2A3 version, then go with 300B wiring for everything else.  This will give you substantially more power with the 2A3-40, but will make the amp incompatible with those Sovtek 2A3's.  (The 2A3-40 is a 300B with a 2.5V filament)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Demsy

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:29:20 PM
PB,
Do you think this will have any impact on the life time of the JJ then?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 05:42:40 PM
Running the 2A3-40 tube in the stock 2A3 circuit won't harm the tube at all.  PJ might have some ideas on how the lifetime would be different between the 2A3 and 300B operating points with this tube.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Aural Robert

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 02:02:19 PM
Actually, I wired the entire circuit as 2A3. I don't need more power, my ears bleed when I put on NIN now (as an example).

Plus someday maybe I'll have enough coin to actually buy a pair of those RCA Blackplates. Or some meshies. And my new JJ's are very nice!!!

So I'm good. It's all good.

Aural Robert.

Origin Live Calypso TT w String Theory arm & Shure V15VxMR, Eros or BH DAC -> BeePre -> MonAmor 2A3s w JJ's => Blumestein Bamboo Tritons on Blumenstein Bamboo stands, AND Enhanced SEX w Sexy spkrs and subs in the WAF zone. DIY Belden 89259 w Eichmann interconnects throughout