Questions re Stereomour

rusty-jade · 1922

Offline rusty-jade

on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:48 AM
I am considering buying a 45/2A3 amp and the Stereomour is one of the alternatives I am leaning towards.  I have some questions which hopefully Forum members may know the answer.  Please excuse my ignorance on some of the matters.  My questions are:

1.  I understand the 2A3 can be used in the 45 configuration.  Are there any drawbacks to the sound produced by the 2A3 in the 45 configuration vis a vis the actual 2A3 configuration?

2.  Is an upgrade to the stock output transformer available now and if yes, how much does it cost?

3.   I currently have a 2A3/300B integrated amp ( not working anymore) whose chassis gets extremely hot after about an hour's usage.  One drawback is some high quality coupling caps like Mundorf silver in oil, has a maximum optimum operating temperature of 55 degrees C and can be adversely affected. Does anyone know how hot it is inside the chassis of the Stereomour?

4.  Lastly, the wood of the Stereomour chassis - does it require sanding and staining or is it OK as is?

Thanks in advance for any answers!   

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:37:27 PM
I am considering buying a 45/2A3 amp and the Stereomour is one of the alternatives I am leaning towards.  I have some questions which hopefully Forum members may know the answer.  Please excuse my ignorance on some of the matters.  My questions are:

1.  I understand the 2A3 can be used in the 45 configuration.  Are there any drawbacks to the sound produced by the 2A3 in the 45 configuration vis a vis the actual 2A3 configuration?

Yeah about half the power output. And it still won't sound like a 45 unless it's some kind of single plate 2A3. And even then it will only sound like a 45 not the same as a 45.

2.  Is an upgrade to the stock output transformer available now and if yes, how much does it cost?

I'm not sure that there is a need to upgrade the stock output transformers.

3.   I currently have a 2A3/300B integrated amp ( not working anymore) whose chassis gets extremely hot after about an hour's usage.  One drawback is some high quality coupling caps like Mundorf silver in oil, has a maximum optimum operating temperature of 55 degrees C and can be adversely affected. Does anyone know how hot it is inside the chassis of the Stereomour?

It really depends upon how you have it set up. The more confined any amp is the hotter it will get.

4.  Lastly, the wood of the Stereomour chassis - does it require sanding and staining or is it OK as is?

It can be left nude or finished.

Thanks in advance for any answers!   

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline howardnair

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
to add to doc's reply--i have mundorf silver and oil and jupiters which have a beeswax dielectric in my stereomour--no problems at all going on 2 years--i have not noticed any excessive heat -and as of yesterday i changed from 2a3 to 45 which took about 1/2 hr--so that is easily done-the amp is designed for that easy change-the directions are excellent--as is the sound-DO IT!!!!!