Ah, the Beatles have a new box set

Paully · 3442

Offline Paully

on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:07 AM
Truly amazing, of course, because Beatles reissues are such a rare phenomenon.  But by now I am sure most Bottleheads are aware of the impending release.  So who here aren't going to be able to contain themselves and are just going to have to have it?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:46:48 AM
I've been eyeing it since the first announcement but have not reserved a set yet.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:42 AM
No mono, no buy.

Why do this big record companies not understand? (Well, at least we got the mono CD remasters.)

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:40 AM
Ok, Paully and I discussed this.  They did not go back to the Original Master Ttapes.  Hmmm.

Sam, listening to Number 9 in mono will not let you experience the ear to ear ping-pong that the fab four intended.  (that is tongue in cheek)  Yet I do feel that the later stereo mixes done by the lads themselves are what they intended.  

However, the early stereo "mixes" with all instruments in one speaker and the Fab Four voices in the other speaker cries out for a mono switch.

I probably won't be buying.  And never the boxed set, just those that I liked the best.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:07:50 AM
Sam,

That is definitely one concern for me as well, but the other is that I really wonder if the sound will be so changed (even if it is "improved") from the original that it would not be the same anymore.

It's a lot of money to spend for some pretty big questions.

On the other hand, my wife may want it no matter what.  I know I certainly have a long wish list ahead of these.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline denti alligator

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:16:33 AM
What the band intended up to the White Album is definitely mono. That's how the records were recorded. End of story. With the Whoite Album you've got both (not sure what the story was there, but the mixes are different). Then there are the last two, which were recorded in stereo.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paully

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:20:46 AM
I read someone talking about them, or maybe Grainger told me, and they were made from the 24/196 digital files which were used to make the CDs and those files were made from the original tapes?  If I understood properly the CDs were a lower bit rate of course which means the records will be the highest resolution media available by using those digital files?  If that is true it seems like die hard Beatles fans are going to want it.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:34:47 AM
For Xmas a couple of years ago I got a little green aluminum apple, like the logo. The stem is a handle for a flash drive, it contains the whole reissue in redbook and the 24 bit files along with some video. As I have all of their library in original issue vinyl, I don't think I'll buy any of the reissue discs.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:58 AM
Sam,

Number Nine is on The Beatles (the white album).

We are not in disagreement.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:04:09 PM
Sam,

Number Nine is on The Beatles (the white album).

We are not in disagreement.

I know. I'm one of the few who do not feel that track takes away from the record. In fact, I've always preferred sides 3 & 4 to 1 & 2.

- Sam

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:36 PM
I guess its the vinyl stamping of the 2009 remasters. $400! I bought all of the 2009 remasters on CD, I'm glad I'm not into vinyl!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:09:25 PM
#9...#9...#9...........

Careful with that ax Eugene  8) 

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:09:35 AM
I thought when you played it backward it said, "Turn me on dead man."  I had a room mate in my second year of college who had a RTR tape deck that could play tracks backward.

But what is on this one album would be a whole 'nother thread!

Number....................9, Number
9, Number.................9, Number
9, Number.................9... etc.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:59:47 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:17 AM
I'm with Grainger on this one... I used to spin the record backwards by hand and definitely heard "turn me on dead man" and that was without anyone telling me what it said.  I only knew that it was supposed to say something.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:41 PM
John,

Pink Floyd?

BTW, for any of you Eno fans out there there is a whole backwards track on the Eno, Moebius, Rodelius album -- I did once play it backwards by recording on a tape with a tascam portastudio and then flipping the tape.  Don't have a clue what it said now, but I do remember it not being out of line for Eno lyrics :-).

-- Jim