Offline xcortes

on: November 16, 2012, 05:21:35 PM
A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations of

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:12:56 PM
Hey Xavier,

What were you into before 2000 in terms of rock?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:19:59 AM
Hi Xavier,

Here's one vote for Ramble at the Ryman and Electric Dirt, each by the Levon Helm Band.

Best,

Mike

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:30:32 AM
Hey Gang; After setting up our pottery at the Glen Richards Gallery here in Seattle, my friend Ken Pincus and I walked over to Dimitriou's Jazz Alley and took in the first set of Taj Mahall's show there. The house sound system was normal(means bad), but the old duffer really rocks, and "Corinna" brought tears to these similarly old eyes. Taj was a favorite for me since the late 60's, and he still is. Guess I've gotta oreder up his newest release, "Hidden Treasures". The venue could use some of the Bottlehead magic dust, however.

Now to enjoy the gallery opening from 4 to 8 tonight! Please say hello if you attend this event.

Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:13:32 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:28:56 AM
Hey there Hank,

Looking forward to seeing you tonight, I'll keep the roast toasty in case you're hungry when you arrive.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Chris

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:01 PM
FWIW, I have been in love this past year with ALL of the  (american band) Coheed and Cambria albums (maybe get your feet wet with "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" first) .... a Welsh band called FEEDER (you can start with 'Comfort in Sound') , a Geordie band "newcastle" The Wildhearts (The Wildhearts Must be Destroyed).... and 2 superb albums by Denmark's Pretty Maids (Pandemonium) and American band House of  Lords (World Upside Down)....... enjoy

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:07 AM
Hank,

You should check out maestro too..  great blues album. I listened to this for the first time last week (recieved the item as a christmas present and forgot to check it out.. made the perfect accompaniment to an evening of scotch and BBQ ribs.

Matt

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 03:31:57 PM
Listening to The Cinematic Orchestra, Motion currently.  Chill airport or driving music.

Aaron Johnson

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 04:07:34 PM
Oh my god!!!  I love the cinematic orchestra.  If you like Motion, you should check out Everyday... one of my favorite albums!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 04:25:23 PM
Yeah I just picked up all of there studio work after hearing it in a buddies car.  Great stuff!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:01 PM
Listening to Grand Funk Railroad on the sex amp and some custom Fostex full rangers.

Offline ironbut

Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:47 AM
Hey Xavier,

When I think about the past decade, the White Stripes stand out as a popular but interesting band.
One of my favorite recent bands is "St. Vincent".
The album "Actor" that came out a few years ago is a great intro to the band.

Tons of interesting stuff some more challenging than others. For indie music, it's worth browsing around Pitchfork.
http://pitchfork.com/

steve koto

Offline johnsonad

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:44 AM
Check out Cage the Elephant. They be more on the alternative side but they rock!

Aaron Johnson

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:30:28 AM
The Black Keys are very popular lately - they are "low fi" on purpose so you might not care for them.  I like them a lot and sort of feel bad that they have been "discovered".

Of course, I should be used to that.  I seem to have a knack for buying albums way before the general public does.  Some of my past discoveries include: Nirvana, Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls, Soul Asylum, Gin Blossoms, Black Crows, Urge Overkill, Prince, U2.  Of course, I have a lot of bad albums too!!!

I've been having a dry spell lately and haven't found much new I like, but then again, I haven't been looking because I've been so busy with other things.  I'm going to keep my eye on this list.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline johnsonad

Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:08 PM
Deer Tick is another.

Aaron Johnson