Kiwame Resistors

KMokc · 5239

Offline KMokc

on: November 21, 2013, 02:21:19 PM
I have purchased a Quickie and want to upgrade the resistors. I have ordered Kiawme in the following:

Kit 1K - Kiwame 1K0 (2 watt)
Kit 4.02K - Kiwame 3K9 (2 watt)
Kit 475K - Kiwame 470K0 (2 watt)

Also Kit 2.2uF 250v caps - Obbligato Premium Gold 2.2uF 630v

Can someone chime in to make sure the purchased values are correct?

Thanks,
Kevin

Quick Silver Mini-Mites, Decware SE-84ZS,Blumenstein Orca's,Madisound Bk-12 w/Fostex Fe-126En,Wadia 121 Digital Computer,Mydac,Schitt Loki,Apple Mac Mini,Macbook Pro,VPI Traveler,Ortofon Bronze,Lounge MM Phono,Bottlehead Seduction,HSU Sub.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:35:42 PM
I'm not sure what the 1K0, 3K9, and 470K0 mean below, but the 1K, 4.02K, 475K, and 2.2 uF parts definitely match the parts list..  Hope this helps.

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:29 PM
You'll probably have a very tough time fitting 2 Watt resistors in there, but they will function in the circuit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:56:17 PM
Give it some time to break in, and by the time you get new batteries let us know what you hear!

Normally I restrict carbon comps to a few specific functions, but the Kiwames appear to be exceptionally well made and are reputed to give a slightly warmer, more relaxed sound.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:04:08 AM
I thought it's also worth mentioning here that the resistors provided with the Quickie are Vishay/Dale RN55D series resistors.  These are military rated, very high quality metal film resistors that you will find in a great many $10,000+ Stereophile Class A rated tube preamps.  It does occur to me that the Kiwames may end up being a downgrade from what is provided with the kit, so YMMV.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:08:36 AM
I thought it's also worth mentioning here that the resistors provided with the Quickie are Vishay/Dale RN55D series resistors.  These are military rated, very high quality metal film resistors that you will find in a great many $10,000+ Stereophile Class A rated tube preamps.  It does occur to me that the Kiwames may end up being a downgrade from what is provided with the kit, so YMMV.

-PB

IMO, really a matter of taste, not quality.  The Kiwames are as good or better, from a manufacturing stand point, as the Dales, PRP, etc.  Just a different flavor. They are definitely a bit warmer and I have never noticed in additional noise, even in my phono stage. I use them and like them!  So take my bias into consideration!

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:17 AM
The Kiwames are as good or better, from a manufacturing stand point, as the Dales, PRP, etc.

Dales carry a mil-spec rating, Kiwames do not.  Though this really doesn't translate into sound quality, it does translate into manufacturing quality control.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 08:43:14 AM
The Kiwames are as good or better, from a manufacturing stand point, as the Dales, PRP, etc.

Dales carry a mil-spec rating, Kiwames do not.  Though this really doesn't translate into sound quality, it does translate into manufacturing quality control.

Or...there is simply no need for KOA to mil-spec them as they are purpose made for audio.  The Kiwames are rated 5%, but I have not found a deviation of more than 1% in those that I have used.  That is pretty good manufacturing tolerance and QA.  Mil-spec is simply that...built to the military specification, that does not, necessarily equal built better, just that it is QA'd to meet the spec so a manufacturer can bid.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:47:49 AM
Or...there is simply no need for KOA to mil-spec them as they are purpose made for audio.

Hmm, I looked high and low on their website, and there's no mention of these resistors being made for audio.  They are simply listed as a high power/reliability carbon film resistor.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:07:37 AM
Or...there is simply no need for KOA to mil-spec them as they are purpose made for audio.

Hmm, I looked high and low on their website, and there's no mention of these resistors being made for audio.  They are simply listed as a high power/reliability carbon film resistor.

OK...I yield...rephrase:
Or...there is simply no need for KOA to mil-spec them. They don't care whether or not they sell them to the military.

Cheers,
Geary

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:36 AM
OK, guys, points made. Let's move on.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.