Hi $ Fuses

Tickwomp · 8649

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16:56 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the link -- interesting read indeed.  I think Srajan does a great thihg by putting things into perspective when he points out that room acoustics and resonance control are far higher up the ladder in terms of priority.

Also very interesting to note is his reaction to some of the issues around computers, wireless, and other EM interferences, and even into the ultrasonic level...  I have always had a really pronounced and bad reaction to digital amps -- tripath in particular, but also ICE modules, etc.  It only takes 20 minutes of listening, even very softly, and my ears are ringing like nobody's business and tend to stay that way for a day or two afterwards.  I've done this test several times in different places and different amps, and the result is always the same.  Now logically I know I can't "hear" those switching frequencies -- hundereds of khz and into the mhz in some cases but they have this undeniable effect on me.  DACs, computers, no, but amps, definitely yes.

If nothing else they seem to be onto something plausible, even to my scientifically oriented mindset and training.

No, I'm not buying any of these goodies :-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline mchurch

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 01:59:51 PM
I worked in the fuse manufacturing industry some time ago and knowing the effort required to ensure fuses worked as designed (protection) I am always skeptical about these boutique fuses.

Using different alloys will definitely make some difference on the sound quality. But the design of the fuse comes down to the resistance of the fuse vs the current it sees and the ability for the element alloy to melt fast enough to do its job. There is a limit to the alloys available to do this.

My question is simple:

Do the fuses actually protect the device as intended or even specified by the likes of UL. I have not seen a single boutique fuse with a UL or CSA or other listing number to show it has even been tested. I wrote to one of the dealers in this regard as well as speaking direct to another and never got an answer. If this is the case and they are not listed then we would be just as well protected jumping the fuses out of the picture or soldering a fuse wire across the terminals.

I think I will pass on these devices and put more effort into other things as suggested.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Beefy

Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:12:28 PM
But the design of the fuse comes down to the resistance of the fuse vs the current it sees and the ability for the element alloy to melt fast enough to do its job. There is a limit to the alloys available to do this.
I think I will pass on these devices and put more effort into other things as suggested.

Great post, Mike.

Offline Chris

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:39:13 PM
yeah that makes me rethink the boutique fuses also.. sound quality is VERY important, however reliable protection is right up there also....I am not sure they would respond (blow) with the same speed..
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:43:59 PM by Chris »

4krow

Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:02 AM
   thought I might clarify my statement about my original post here. I was not referring to BH products when I mentioned 'cheap circuit boards'. Actually, I was thinking about a modification of a product that I am currently working on. There will certainly be diminishing returns to the final results when cheap products are used in the design to begin with. That is why I might question a mere fuse, or any other single item in a chain of lesser quality. Fortunately, with products like BH, you have a better chance to hear the effect of upgrades in the first place.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:04 AM
The OP asks, "Anyone have first hand experience with boutique fuses?"  It seems the answer is most of us have no experience with them and probably will never have any experience with them.  We got somewhat sidetracked.

I think I can understand some of the logic surrounding designer fuses.  The fuse, by design, is the lowest gauge wire on the primary side of a circuit.  Increasing wire size in the power supply has often made improvements in sound.  Larger SS high powered amps often have copper bus for the conductors.

In the case of the fuse increasing the wire size is the wrong thing to do.  But I'll bet that isn't what these designer fuses are.  I'll bet they start life as a run of the mill fuse and the contacts are upgraded.  "Upgrading" the fusible element would be just foolhardy.

Ok, cheap mother that I am I'm not going to spend $20 for a fuse.  I'd rather buy a capacitor, or put $20 toward a capacitor.  All these things are personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:45:38 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:37 AM

Ok, cheap mother that I am I'm not going to spend $20 for a fuse.  I'd rather buy a capacitor, or put $20 toward a capacitor.  All these things are personal preference.

I appreciate Grainger's honesty! This "tweaking" arena brings out our personal biases. To move forward in this hobby we have to be honest, and occasionally flexible. I am also a cheap MF (emphasis mine). I was also a "stubborn" SS guy for years because I was too cheap/scared to look at the expense of trying tubes. I thank Bottlehead for supplying the cure.  IMO all of the "real" audiophiles are. Its takes a ton more work to squeeze great sound from limited bucks! Any idiot can stroll down to their local audio shop, listen for 15min to some big bucks gear, supply the credit card, and have it set up in your living room.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 05:59:00 AM
I have tried the pretty little fuses, but in my opinion, they don't provide much bang fo the buck. I suspect that re-making the AC contact with the new fuse does as much good as the fuse itself.

Offline glynnw

Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 09:44:26 AM
I also have put  boutique fu$es in my Paramounts and heard no improvement.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 03:59:01 AM
Installed the "el supremo" fuses last night. Definetely worth the $.  Biggest difference was in the DAC followed by the Preamp. 

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Grainger49

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:15:30 AM
How much were the "El Supremo" and what differences did you hear?

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:04 PM
How much were the "El Supremo" and what differences did you hear?

$55 per fuse....  I ponied up for 4. 

I'm very pleased with the improvement.  Much more tonight than last night, and tonight I reoriented them correctly (i had them in backwards).  More clarity everywhere, but percussion significantly better.  THe DAC made the most difference (and not suble) followed closely by the Foreplay.  The Paramounts were audible, but more subtle. 

The difference is was about the same as replacing the standard crappy IC that comes OEM with stuff with a very good one.  Knowing what I know now, I would have happily paid more to refuse the DAC and pre...

Tick

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Grainger49

Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:31 AM
I am not one to question these things.  I put ArmorAll on my CDs and they sounded better.  I tried green paint on the edges and the indentation near the center.  It made a slight improvement for the better but wasn't worth the bother to me.  (I play so few CDs now with the Eros)

Over on Audio Karma I got in line to try some chips and dots to tune your system.  You placed the chip on your CD player to improve the sound.  A number of tweaks from the same company were circulating and I got nothing from either the chip or dot. 

All that said I wonder about orientation of a fuse.  I do not doubt you heard a difference.  But it still bothers me.  The fuse is in the AC leg.  So the direction of the current reverses every 1/120 of a second (a full cycle is 1/60 of a second).  So if you have it right, 1/120 of a second the orientation is wrong.

This is what I get for trying to figure these things out.  Do trust me, I use a few tweaks I have no idea why they work, but they do.

If you enjoy the sound, that is all that matters.  This is not a flaming kind of site so you will find guys who question here but no one will say you are wrong.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:10 AM
No offense to anyone but man-o-man, did I pick the wrong career. 

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:16 AM
   .  .  .   If you want to give into delusion and pretend that $ automatically = better sound, then that's on you, and it's your freedom to spend your money how you want!  .  .  . 

Anyone believing that wouldn't be here to start with. 

To me if Tick hears the difference and it is worth the price he should be happy.  I so often see posts that say, "I can't believe my system could sound better."  Followed by, "I upgraded with XX and it was better."