Different cartridges with Eros2?

Thomasbhartwell · 700

Offline Thomasbhartwell

on: August 29, 2022, 03:26:35 AM
Hi folks, relative newbie here.
I’ve got a wonderful Eros2 phono stage which I’m using with my Rega P3/Elys turntable. If i change to a different turntable with an MC cartridge (e.g. Rega P8 with an MC cart) will the Eros still work or will i need to mod it?
Tom

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 04:26:38 AM
Most MC cartridges have a much lower voltage output than MM cartridges, so they need around 10-30dB more voltage gain, depending on the particular cartridge. Step-up transformers are the quietest way to get that gain, so Eros has suitable mounting holes for some SUTs, or you can get them in separate boxes.

A few "high-output" MC cartridges are available, which need no extra gain.

Paul Joppa

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 11:32:56 AM
Thomas, can you advise what the make and model of MC cartridge you are looking at for the Rega turntable?

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:08:06 AM
Dear Folks; I outfitted my VPI table with a Haniwa high output MC cartridge($450 on the Bay) and am enjoying vinyl as never before from my all Bottlehead system. Haniwa also makes a Lo-output version of the same cartridge, which may sound even better if you have step-up trannies to support it. My custom Eros phono-pre was built by Paul Birkeland, and uses MQ all-Cobalt B-7 output transformers.

Cheers, Hank Murrow

Offline Ascari

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 12:26:00 PM
I have used multiple cartridges with the Eros.   Both Hi output and low output MC's as well as MI.    Sumiko, Hana, and Soundsmith.   All are great.    To date, I love my Hana ESL (Elliptical Low Output) with an external SUT.      I am sure the SL would be a step up. No pun intended.   Right now I am listening to a Soundsmith Boheme.   (Discontinued because it was not supposed to be that good.)    Seriously it blows them all away.    At least until I switch tables.   Yes I have more than one.   Honestly, you might want to look at any of the exemplary 2.5 Mv cartridges.   There are many of them out there.   
I also have a Sumiko Black Bird (low output) waiting in the wings.   I purchased it brand new when it was being discontinued and on sale.  I then added another discount by using their trade in discount program.