Selling assembled crack for profit?

Crack user · 2213

Offline Crack user

on: May 20, 2013, 06:47:33 AM
Hi all. I'm about to take the plunge and buy a crack to compliment my dt990s. I was seeing that if I buy two, then I get a discount and basically spend 220 extra to get the second one. What I'm wondering is with a good professional level of workmanship, cutting wires as short as possible and possibly staining the wood, how much should I be able to sell this amp for? Is it worth buying the second one to possibly make a profit and for getting extra DIY experience?

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:57 AM
I wouldn't count on turning a profit over and above the savings from ordering two kits. People seem to list assembled Bottlehead amps on Head-Fi for about $100-150 over list price, but they don't sell too quickly, and my guess is that most of those actually sell for roughly the cost of a new kit + shipping. There are a number of reasons for this, but the three primary reasons are:

1. Most people can't get past the headline price of a kit direct from Bottlehead. If a kit costs $500 from Bottlehead, they are reluctant to pay more than $500 from someone else, even if it is fully assembled. Sure, they know that the labor is valuable, but the psychological hurdle in order for them to actually pay for it is often too much to overcome. Moreover, people on Head-Fi are used to paying LESS than list price for gear sold through the For Sale forum, not more. Of course it is an apples-to-oranges comparison (used commercially built amp with inflated list price, vs. essentially new, hand-built amp with low list price), but there it is.

2. The lemon problem. Unless you regularly build amps professionally, nobody has any reason to trust your soldering and assembly skills. Note that this applies even if your "day job" involves soldering electronics. You are essentially an anonymous, unknown quantity. You could be the greatest electronics whiz who ever lived, or you could be a novice, rube, hack like me.  ;D  Even if you claim the amp is working perfectly, how can a buyer know that there isn't a cold solder joint that will become defective as soon as you ship it out the door?

3. Shipping. Even if you are a soldering ninja, you might be a lazy, careless or ignorant shipper. I bought a fully-assembled Smack on Head-Fi. I have no reason to believe the seller was in any way dishonest, or that he did anything less than a perfect job building the amp. But it arrived in roughly a million pieces because he didn't pack it properly and failed to account for the physical stress caused by shipping. The same thing happened to me with a used Mapletree Audio Ear+ that I bought, so I have basically sworn off used tube amps -- they are far too delicate.

The multi-unit savings are substantial in their own right, so I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying two amps, I'm just trying to make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations for what you can sell the 2nd one for.

If you do build two Cracks, I think it would be worthwhile to hold onto them for a little while and run a couple of A/B comparisons with different upgrade components to see what delivers the biggest improvement (after the Speedball).

Best,
Adam

Offline Crack user

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:37 AM
Ok thank you for the detailed reply. It really cleared up a few questions that I had and made me realize it might not be so easy to turn a profit haha.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:01 AM
You would have to warranty the build to bring that price.  You could always check on Headfi to see if there are members in your area looking for built Cracks.  If so, you can kick the shipping issue away and be more easily able to support the kits that you end up constructing.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:22:48 PM
China has you beat on that idea! They copy everything and sell it CHEAPER than the original.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.