Could Foreplay be the culprit

skalos · 1142

Offline skalos

on: September 02, 2013, 10:13:46 AM
Hello,

I have had a Foreplay in my system for 6 or 7 years, maybe longer.  It seems to work well.  I put a y splitter on the output about 5 years ago.  1 set of RCAs go to active crossover , 1 set straight to a tube amp.  Now one set to SS amp and 1 set to tube amp.  I use SS amp for patio speakers and tube amp for listening room. 

The SS amp, a hafler I have owned since '82 died on me.  I replaced with a B&K multi-channel amp and that  went up in smoke,  Literally.  I am thinking what could be wrong with the system, but the B&K was used so maybe it was bad even though it worked for about 2 months.

I then bought a new SS Class D amp with very good reputation.  It worked for about a month then it went up in smoke.

After I shipped the Class D amp out for repair, I had my Hafler fixed locally.  They said the input section was damaged and that input sections are often sensitive so be careful with cable changes and such. 

The Hafler has been working for several months.  I added a good quality speaker switch box to the system, being careful with the speaker wire connections and it worked perfectly.

I just received my class D amp and installed it.  It went up in smoke again within minutes.

Long story made short.  I have had 4 amps connected to the Foreplay.  1 tube amp works well.  3 SS amps all got fried and I am again without sound.

Question:  If my Foreplay was not working properly could it be sending signals to these SS amps that could fry them.  If so, what could be wrong with the Foreplay that could be doing this.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:13 AM
If there was a super sonic oscillation it might harm the amplifier. I don't think that happened.  I've had a FP 2 for over ten years and it has never had a problem.  It has fed an Eagle, Krell, ST-70, ChipAmp GainClone and Bottlehead Paramours. I have also had a Y adapter feeding a sub (solid state) on it for the last 7 years.  None have had a problem.

If you put an oscilloscope on the output you will see if there is some odd signal there.  Turn the volume all the way down on the FP, that in essence shorts the inputs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:46:50 AM by Grainger49 »