Power conditioning

tsingle999 · 1185

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: July 18, 2015, 01:35:27 PM
I picked up a surgex 1115 power conditioner and a box made by Monster that measures noise on the power line. So i plug this monster box into my ac outlet and you turn the volume up and you can hear a radio station and i get a reading of 185. No units given. So i plug in the surgex into the wall and plug the box in. Quiet and a reading below 5. So i plug my sytem into the surgex and listen. I go check to see if i bumped the sub controls when setting everything up because the bass is way stronger. Nope its the surge suppressor. So im wondering if any surge suppressor works. I bring home a furman. Only knocks the display down to 125. So im sticking with the surgex cheap off ebay. Anyway not sure whats going on but its a nice upgrade.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:29:44 PM
I suspect the unit has the usual layout of common mode chokes inside which are filtering some crud from your mains.  It always surprised me the difference it can make, though i have to admit i am a little obsessive about mains filtering. I've even gone as far as to build a balanced power supply for my tube amps :)

M.McCandless