Found a cheap, good new production driver tube

Dr. Toobz · 3672

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:25 AM
Just dropping a recommendation for the new-production 6189 in the driver position of the Speedballed Crack. After about 50 hours, this tube is very clear and has a huge soundstage, but is very smooth and un-fatiguing at the same time. My HD650's now have a huge soundstage that beats my previous favorite tube, the 6CG7. Best of all, I paid about $10 for the tube, which I think is made by the same people who do the Electro-Harmonix brand (e.g., New Sensor). No complaints so far....

EDIT: Forgot to mention the brand name; they are using the old "Tung-Sol" moniker and box design for these.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:59:00 AM by Dr. Toobz »

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
Where did you buy it?

Thanks for the tip,
Adam

Offline moviedave

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:08 AM
Don't you mean input tube, not power tube?

Offline norneslo

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:34 AM
I found one of these on Ebay finally so I'm giving it a try.

Ron Olsen

Offline mikek200

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:30:57 AM
Just dropping a recommendation for the new-production 6189 in the driver position of the Speedballed Crack. After about 50 hours, this tube is very clear and has a huge soundstage, but is very smooth and un-fatiguing at the same time. My HD650's now have a huge soundstage that beats my previous favorite tube, the 6CG7. Best of all, I paid about $10 for the tube, which I think is made by the same people who do the Electro-Harmonix brand (e.g., New Sensor). No complaints so far....

EDIT: Forgot to mention the brand name; they are using the old "Tung-Sol" moniker and box design for these.

Thanks for the recommendation,I ordered one on e-bay.
Dr.,a tech question:
Can I use the 6CG7 tube on my crack/w/speedball...does it need an adapter?
You stated that previously ,it was your favorite tube.

Mike

Offline norneslo

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:15 PM
Finally getting back on this tube after using this for a short time.  I've been trying to find actual new tubes to put in my crack, and have tried a Electro-Harmonix, J&J Tesla and finally this Tung-sol 6189.  I've had so many problems with old stock tubes being micro-phonic that I'm just trying to find a good combination of new ones.  This 6189 is the best of all the ones I've tried.  The EH tube is good, my sound memory of this is that it's less dynamic, the J&J tube pushed the highs too much for my taste.  All the time I'm using 6h13C in the drive socket, which to my ear does not sound as good as my old stock 6as7g or 6080, but it's dead silent and no micro-phonics.  The outside of the box for the 6h13c appears to be stamped 1985. So for the moment my crack has an all Russian Lineup.  If anyone has suggestions on possible new stock 6080 tubes let me know, I have not seen any aside from the "winged C" 6h13C I've got already.  I tried a NOS 5998 (two actually) from a retailer, they were a definite step up, but just looking directly at the crack caused it to buzz. I sent them both back to my dismay (using the 6189 up front).  That's a bummer man.

Ron

Ron Olsen

Offline mikek200

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:28:02 AM
Finally getting back on this tube after using this for a short time.  I've been trying to find actual new tubes to put in my crack, and have tried a Electro-Harmonix, J&J Tesla and finally this Tung-sol 6189.  I've had so many problems with old stock tubes being micro-phonic that I'm just trying to find a good combination of new ones.  This 6189 is the best of all the ones I've tried.  The EH tube is good, my sound memory of this is that it's less dynamic, the J&J tube pushed the highs too much for my taste.  All the time I'm using 6h13C in the drive socket, which to my ear does not sound as good as my old stock 6as7g or 6080, but it's dead silent and no micro-phonics.  The outside of the box for the 6h13c appears to be stamped 1985. So for the moment my crack has an all Russian Lineup.  If anyone has suggestions on possible new stock 6080 tubes let me know, I have not seen any aside from the "winged C" 6h13C I've got already.  I tried a NOS 5998 (two actually) from a retailer, they were a definite step up, but just looking directly at the crack caused it to buzz. I sent them both back to my dismay (using the 6189 up front).  That's a bummer man.

Ron

This is hard to believe,sorry you had to send the 5998 back..
For me ,when I use the 5998,I pair it with a few 12au7 tubes
1.Siemens silver plates
2. Phillips mini-watts
3. tung-sol blackplates
With any of the above combo,I can fine tune my music and,get exactly ,what SQ I prefer,whether it s Jazz,classical,acoustic guitar.,and get oustanding results.
Some people prefer the Russian tubes,,I never had too much luck with them so?

I suggest ,you re-try the 5998 ,maybe from a another seller?
I use :
   http://vacuumtubes.net/

Mike
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:40:50 AM by mikek200 »