No power to Crack

Stanshall · 4258

Offline Stanshall

on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:42 AM
Hi there, noob here. I've just finished my first build and unfortunately get no power to the Crack when I switch it on. I've checked all connections, really took my time with it, and I don't see any mistakes. No power to the LEDs nor tubes. All my resistance checks came out correct.

Besides resoldering every connection, is there a way I could analyse where the issue might be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:25:40 AM
Did you install the fuse?  (It goes in the little clip, not the square tube in the power entry module)

You can measure AC voltage between L and N on the IEC power entry module to be sure you're seeing line voltage.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Stanshall

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 09:31:17 AM
Thanks, Paul.

The fuse is definitely installed correctly.

To measure line voltage, do you mean connect it to the mains and measure on the reverse of the IEC power entry module?

I am using a 240v transformer, by the way. I wonder whether there's anything different I needed to do with my wiring?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:58 AM
To measure line voltage, do you mean connect it to the mains and measure on the reverse of the IEC power entry module?

Yes.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Stanshall

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:56:00 AM
Ok, I got approx 240v from the lower neutral pin and a flickering/not a lot from the upper neutral pin.

Would this suggest that my switch soldering needs redoing, in the first instance?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:03:47 AM
Ok, I got approx 240v from the lower neutral pin and a flickering/not a lot from the upper neutral pin.

Look at page 15 in the manual - the pins are very clearly labeled with white letters.  You want to measure the AC voltage between "L" and "N".  We have not gotten to the power switch yet.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Stanshall

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 10:18:55 AM
My apologies.

I get a zero reading between L and N.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:20:07 AM
I get a zero reading between L and N.

This indicates improper fuse installation, or a blown fuse.

You can remove the fuse, set your digital volt meter to beep for continuity, then test the fuse.  (Our fuses can be a little tough to visually inspect)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Stanshall

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32:17 AM
I'm getting a flickering reading of 0.5-0.7 for the fuse which seems to suggest it's not blown.

As you can probably tell, I'm an absolute beginner, so I may have misinterpreted that reading.

I'll pick up another fuse tomorrow, though, will give it a try.

Is it worth my testing the voltage without a fuse, as a separate check?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:39:14 AM
Hmmm,

If you have a good fuse then post pictures of the IEC module and the wiring to the power supply. 

I'm thinking something is open (what is often called a short).  The voltage is not getting there because of some attachment, or a misplaced wire.

Offline Stanshall

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:41:07 AM
Thanks very much. It's bedtime over this side of the world but I'll get on the case tomorrow.

I appreciate the patience and support!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:59 AM
Looking at the logic of the circuit, the other place where the current can be stopped going through the transformer primary is the power switch. If it was heat damaged during soldering it could cause this problem. With the amp unplugged from the mains socket, test the resistance across the terminals of the power switch with it thrown to the on position and see if you get the correct very low ohm reading. If it reads high/open when switched to on, the switch probably needs to be replaced.

Sometimes the terminals themselves will wiggle a bit in the switch body if this is the case.

And for those who may be new, in fact an open circuit is the exact opposite of a short circuit. An open means a connection that should be there isn't. A short means a connection that shouldn't be there is.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Stanshall

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 11:17:09 AM
Obviously, I couldn't sleep thinking about it.

I've just checked the resistance across the switch and I get a 0.1-0.3 ohm reading, which seems to be ok.

I'll post pics tomorrow. First time solderer, what I think is my best/cleanest work may well be a disaster area.

Thanks again fellas.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 12:29:08 PM
There's a very real chance that you also aren't quite measuring the AC voltage correctly.  You can measure the AC voltage between the outer two holes in your power cord while it's plugged in.  You should see 220V-240V at this point. 

If you don't, then consult the manual for your meter to be 100% sure that you are performing the measurement correctly.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Stanshall

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:52 AM
Quick update on this one. I've tested the IEC power entry module and I got a reading of around 240v, which is a start.

I've attached some photos below of my wiring/soldering of the IEC. Any help, as ever, is much appreciated.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi44.tinypic.com%2Fjj4vur.jpg&hash=a21ca51ec45c96f9ec8023fc6d0c547abe54cffe)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi39.tinypic.com%2F34hx55j.jpg&hash=869ea64de1ae490a248f8e41cc12d6c601d7c45b)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi39.tinypic.com%2F21loh05.jpg&hash=626bfac16a684d82df7e0c48986eeee998506ca5)

Cheers.