Ready to give up!! Cannot solder this Crack

Bimbleton · 6580

Offline Bimbleton

on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:48 PM
Hi,

First-time builder. Every time I solder, the solder balls up on the remaining solder line and doesn't stick to the wire. Furthermore, the solder does not melt if I hold the soldering-tip to the wire -- it only melts if I directly stick the solder onto the tip. I have soldered the first four joints by much trial and error, but I am not happy with them (they don't look flat, but lumpy and shiny). I'm using a cheapo Stahl Soldering station with temperature set to maximum (500 degrees); for solder using Kester 60/40 tin-lead.

-I have tried cleaning the tip.
-I have tried tinning the tip.
-I have tried yelling at the tip.
-I have watched the InnerFidelity video on soldering.

Please, please someone help! And if anyone has a moment, could someone post a close-up shot of what a properly soldered connection should look like?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:15 PM
If that is 500 degrees F the iron is not hot enough. If 500 degrees C that is more than enough, but it may just be that the iron is too small and can't pump enough heat into the material you are trying to solder. We recommend at least a 30W iron and preferably 40W.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bimbleton

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:34 PM
It is 500 degrees Celsius. I'm going to try setting the temperature lower, somewhere around 350 Celsius, see if that works.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:34:47 PM
If the iron isn't getting the joint hot enough lowering the tip temp is not going to help, it's going to be worse. What is the wattage rating of the iron?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Bimbleton

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:58 PM
5-40W.

Also, here is another issue! My transformer thing has a sticker that reads "240V Bottlehead PT-3". Does that mean it's a 240V transformer and shouldn't be used in the US?

Offline Mike B

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:09:58 PM
That Stahl is a piece of crap.  I know, I bought one.  Throw it inna trash and buy a Weller WLC100, the item it attempts to copy but fails misarably at.

I still can't believe how bad it is.  They really cheaped out.  Low heat, crappy tips, junk.  That's why it's so cheap.  A soldering station for $17?  There is a reason for that. 

Garbage.

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 03:53:20 PM
240 v is not for use in the US. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess you bought your Crack from Massdrop. True?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Bimbleton

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:16 PM
Goddammit. Well at least I stopped after soldering just a couple of joints.
Doc, what do I do if I've got the wrong part? Can I send in the old one and get it replaced?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:35:37 AM
Yes, contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com or call her at 206-451-4275 and she can help you get the transformer exchanged. We are sorry about the mix up. The shipping boxes were very clearly marked with the power transformer designation when they left here, as we were nervous about their shipment to end users being handled by a middle man. Apparently that was not 100% effective, and we will be sticking to direct sales in the future.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline azrockitman

Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:31 AM
Regarding the soldering iron and related issues, one of the best smartest things you could do for yourself and your enjoyment level would be to buy a good soldering iron/station.  I went through 3 el-cheapos (TM) before I finally listened to the recommendations of others on this forum and I can't tell you how happy it made me to stop having the exact issues you describe on soldering.  I bought a Hakko FX888D, but I suspect there are many others just as good or better  But I no longer have that issue where I feel like I'm in a magic shop and it's "fake solder" that someone slipped me as a joke.

Good luck.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline Chris

Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:29:38 AM
Goshdarnit I know it all sucks, but Mike is of course spot on.. You just cannot scrimp on your kit building materials.. especially the iron, the most important thing.. It always costs you more in the long run and makes your experience an absolute PITA "one off, never doing it again type thing"... or with the proper equipment, it can be a real joy and now you have the equipment to do more kits etc...

Offline corndog71

Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:57:13 AM
I've been using Radio Shack 30 and 40 watt irons.  They're around $8 and have replaceable tips.  Yeah, they're not the best but they get the job done if you know what you're doing.  I use the 30 watt iron for pcbs and the 40 watt for pretty much everything else.  I tend to replace the 40 watt irons every couple of years. 

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:38 AM
I've been using Radio Shack 30 and 40 watt irons.  They're around $8 and have replaceable tips.  Yeah, they're not the best but they get the job done if you know what you're doing. 

I used these for years before snagging a station.  They aren't awesome, but they are totally adequate. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 11:37:23 AM
I can't say that I think much of the RS irons but they will get the job done. Unless they have changed since I last used one, figure on replacing the tip after each project.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:28 AM
figure on replacing the tip after each project.

That's a good point, when I used them, I'd generally just buy a whole new iron each time.  (The iron was $1 more than just the tip IIRC)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man