Ready to give up!! Cannot solder this Crack

Bimbleton · 6581

Offline uzumaki

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 04:38:13 PM
Regarding the soldering iron and related issues, one of the best smartest things you could do for yourself and your enjoyment level would be to buy a good soldering iron/station.  I went through 3 el-cheapos (TM) before I finally listened to the recommendations of others on this forum and I can't tell you how happy it made me to stop having the exact issues you describe on soldering.  I bought a Hakko FX888D, but I suspect there are many others just as good or better  But I no longer have that issue where I feel like I'm in a magic shop and it's "fake solder" that someone slipped me as a joke.

Good luck.

+1 for the FX-888D it made the project very enjoyable for me.

Offline TrevC

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 01:02:02 AM
I went through 3 crappy Chinese soldering stations before also moving to a legit Hakko FX888D (watch out for fakes that look very similar). The Hakko's worth every cent, don't hesitate and needlessly create frustration by using the wrong tools for the job. :)

Trevor

Offline es347

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:13 AM
I just finished a Crack kit with a Wahl rechargeable and I like it a lot.  It heats up quickly and so forth but the main reason is because the distance from tip to handle is much less and for old guys like me with less than rock steady hands it works much better...my two $.01..

Offline Paully

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:12:42 AM
I used those Radio Shack irons.  They do indeed get the job done.  But I bought a used Weller off of ebay that looked like it had been used for years before I got it.  Still going strong and a wonderful soldering iron and just works well.  I don't know about Hakko, but Grainger and I have been using Weller (he for a lot longer) and they are just top notch and worth the expense.

Offline Bimbleton

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:05:07 PM
It looks like a lot of people can get by with the Radioshack soldering iron, which makes me sad because my 40W Stahl soldering station should be just as good, if not better! As a grad student, I wanted to build my crack on a low budget. It's frustrating... Could it be that I'm soldering incorrectly? Is there some cleaning issue that makes the solder "ball up"?

On the plus side, customer service at Bottlehead couldn't be better. Already got a 120V PT on the way, should be arriving soon. Thanks Doc and Queen Eileen!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 01:23:41 PM
We used the cheapo Stahl SSVT under a different guise for a S.E.X. kit building class ten year ago, one for each student. They were pretty bad, as I recall I had to pull out one of my bigass Wellers to help the guys solder some of the bigger stuff like binding posts.

Not that this is much help but I had the impression that a lot of the problem was that the tip just didn't transfer heat very well. I don't know if there are any aftermarket tips for that iron that might be better.

Oh yeah, I seem to recall that the black plastic ring around the iron holder is held against a spring and will probably fly off at some point. Seems like we had 'em popping off   a lot of the stations over towards the end of the class.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:29:58 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline NightFlight

Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 09:51:57 AM
Search for "weller" on Amazon and pick. my first iron was for this project and I got the WES51. I couldn't be happier and I'm hooked on soldering.

Offline Chris

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 06:11:51 AM
Right, and how much did it cost you?? a thousand dollars??

Offline Mike B

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 06:18:26 AM
This is a good iron, has adjustable heat and on sale for thiry-five bucks.  I've been using mine now for 7 years.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/weller/solder/wlc100.htm?ref=gbase&gclid=CN2A8ZX2_boCFQpgMgodYV8ANg

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Chris

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 06:51:23 AM
Exactly... thank you Mike... For the sake of being flamed by whoever wants to.... GUYS.... we are talking about LITTLE money here...WHY would you NOT want to spend just a little more money on quality ($30 more) and have an awesome experience... ???  And , yes, I was in college (7 years, driving a white pinto wagon dubbed :"the urban assault vehicle"  because a guy hit me, "his fault", and I spent the insurance money on books instead of fixing the car).. BUT I still would have bought a proper Soldering station to do my Bottlehead kits if they would have existed at the time... BECAUSE??? I want a good experience and not a pain in the ass load of BS that I would get with a what?? 10? 15? dollar product??   I only say this because I care about your happiness.... sorry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 07:17:10 AM
This is an interesting philosophical point. Because we put out inexpensive kits there can be a hope that you can get what you want from them for only the price of the kit. But that's not realistic. You do have to budget for tools too. Buying tools for that first kit that can seem to throw the budget out of kilter, and it's hard to know if one will like the process enough to keep building kits.

The problem is just as we are finding here. If the tools aren't good enough the experience can become somewhat frustrating. So my advice is if you can't borrow a good solder station buy a good iron with the idea that being a good one it will be easy to sell if you decide kit building isn't your thang. That way it won't be the frustration of using crappy tools that influences your decision about whether kit building is fun or not.

For anyone local starting on their first kit  (I know this is just a small fraction of our customers) we would be happy to have you stop by for a free soldering lesson.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 07:43:26 AM
Perfectly said,  Inexpensive kits BUT with MAXIMUM value....... I am NOT being condescending nor am I a know it all..  But, I will bet that audiophiles will spend MORE on caps and cables, isolation feet etc... than a GREAT quality soldering station which is the FIRST line of quality sound assurance... DOC himself already posted a sticky regarding the importance of QUALITY solder joints in the assurance of the BEST sound reproduction possible... PJ painstakingly designed the circuits for maximum sound quality and we are going to "buzz" them up with a 10 buck POS?..... OR spend maybe 35 to 50 dollars (only) on a superb bit of iron ensuring we get the MAXIMUM value out of PJ and DOC"S designs  for YOUR listening pleasure????.... I dont know, to me , it is a no brainer.... And  I, of course, mean NO disrespect to ANY of you who , in the beginning, went the cheap route.. not in the least.. I have done so myself in the past....and have learned the error of my ways...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:51:28 AM by Chris »

Offline Paully

Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 08:12:43 AM
Following Docs advice made all the difference in the world for me.  I didn't know how to solder and certainly didn't have the tools.  Pairing up with Grainger, an experienced electrical engineer (though that depth of experience certainly isn't necessary) who has the patience of a saint and a really cool and well stocked workroom made my first build a lot of fun and got me hooked.