Broke the 6 lug terminal strip

Dahn626 · 1050

Offline Dahn626

on: December 24, 2017, 09:13:05 AM
Hi,

While trying to screw in the 6 lug terminal strip, I ended up snapping the wooden/plastic base at the very end. Everything still seems intact, but would I have to purchase a brand new terminal strip? Or would it work if they were still connected to each other?

Had a lot of issues with threading it because it kept bending so I tried to resend it after I screwed it on :-/

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:40:17 PM
If you need someone to tell you whether a piece is too damaged to use, it is helpful to provide a visual representation of the damage...

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Dahn626

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 06:45:20 AM
Good point!

1 picture of the 6 lug strip and 3x pictures of what I'm asking for below:

I also had another question...I ended up snapping one of the legs off the half-moon black thing (sorry at a family gathering and can't access the instructions) but I had already soldered one leg. I decided to just cut all 3 legs shorter, but because one leg was already soldered, I re-soldered that to the existing solder on top of the board and tried my best to shove the other 2 legs into the holes and stuck a little extra solder in to make sure they stayed in place. The other 2 legs didn't actually go through the board (since the existing solder in the 3rd hole prevented it from going down any further)...will this connection work?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:14:39 PM
If you get a small syringe of project epoxy, you can mix up a tiny batch (mix it up on a piece of cardboard) then brush it into the crack on that terminal strip.

Since you haven't built the amp, I would just get a replacement.  I also wouldn't start your build on the Speedball, wait till you're done with the amp and it's up and running.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dahn626

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 05:19:23 PM
I’ve only put together the pcb portion of the speedball while I wait.

I accidentally mixed up 2 directions and blew the fuse. Since I couldn’t proceed with the crack, worked on what I could (cut all the wires to length, put together the pcb for the speedball).

As for the 6 lug, is it like a pcb where there are small electronics that run through or is it just a piece of plastic? Anyone know where I could buy another or shoul I email bottlehead?

Offline Dahn626

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
ALL IS WELL! I have completed the crack and speedball :) thank you to all who replied!

Offline Deluk

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:29:10 AM
I and I suspect many others found that the bolts and the attachment holes in the strips aren't a friendly match. Holes really need a bit of reaming out with a small file or stretched a bit with a tapered sheet metal screw to make for an easier fit. I twisted one of my tabs but a quick scrape with a mini file solved the problem. Glad you are now up and running.