Selling Site Recommendations

Guest · 1999

4krow

on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:58 AM
  OK, given the experience I've had with Ebay, Audiogon, and a few other sites, can anyone recommend a selling/buying site that doesn't rob you? A site that has some quality to it, when it comes to buyers and sellers? I truly want this to be a reality, and I have tired many sites with varying results. I work my butt off trying to make things go perfectly for my customers in every respect. I am at a point now, that I want to sell off the stock(for a loss of course) and just enjoy my own system. To Hell with flavor of the week buyers, who, if they don't read the description properly, still want what they want. How the people here at BH deal with it, I'll never know. It only takes a couple of 'gems' to make the experience seem like a bust. I know, I'm rambling and I am too thin skinned. 'Sometimes your best isn't good enough.' I heard that in high school from a friend of mine, and it rings in my ears to this day.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:06:05 PM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:19:44 AM
What are you selling? I have bought and sold a TON of stuff on Head-Fi, and the process has always been excellent. I have feedback from 120 transactions, and probably only get feedback on 25-33% of transactions, so I'm in the hundreds of deals overall. No fees for anything. Definitely a better place to sell headphone stuff, but I've sold speakers and amps there as well, in the miscellaneous section.

Best regards,
Adam

4krow

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:28:52 AM
  Adam,

Thank you so much for the comment. Head-Fi may be something that I will try. I am selling upgraded Carver C9 units for damned near my cost. I have incredible results with some recordings, and just wanted to share the experience with others. I've always had 100% positive feedback (better than GIECO). Anyway, it is good to know that maybe there are still a few places worth dealing with. I'm not even trying to make much money, and so, I depend on the customer understanding what the product is in the first place.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:35:55 AM
My only advice on Head-Fi, is to try to sell to someone who has a lot of feedback, if possible. People with little feedback tend to low-ball, they ask a million questions then decide not to buy, and can generally be a bit difficult. Experienced Head-Fi traders are wonderful and very straightforward to deal with. They make a fair offer, respond quickly, don't make up stuff during negotiations, and seal the deal promptly.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline azrockitman

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:47:24 AM
forgive me for being presumptuous, as I don't know the value of what you are selling, nor if you are right on the money or not, but as crazy as it sounds, are you charging too little?  It's a known phenomena in business/marketing that price affects perception of quality with some folks. 

Your problem may indeed be 100% site-related and the recommended Head-Fi might solve it but it wouldn't hurt to ask some independent opinions that you trust if maybe you are not charging enough.  But I readily admit I jumping into waters I'm not familiar with.

Either way, good luck ...sounds like the head=fi recommendation might be a great start.

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

4krow

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 06:49:14 AM
 Adam,
  I just checked out the site, and it is quite organized. Good for them, good for us. I know exactly what you mean about the 'talkers/questioners'. That's what I call them. I can deal with the regular stuff, it's the change the deal in the middle of the stream, or let's jump to conclusions type that I am so done with. I will make every attempt to make my ads understandable and not confusing or contradictory. I have always gone the extra mile, which usually means losing money, just out of principle. I might be doomed...ha

4krow

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:06 AM
 AZRCKMN,

Actually, I agree with your thought about price. I once had a house for sale, that simply would not sell. I raised the price by $20,000, and it sold in 2 months. In this case I guess I was being the nice guy by offering a product at an unheard of price. Just something that I wanted to do for those folks that don't have a lot of coin, but would truly appreciate the deal. At this point, I am once again losing money that I can't afford, and the next couple of units will be my last. I just want a place to sell them without drama.

Offline rif

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:54 AM
I've bought and sold on audiocircle.com.  unfortunately it's just a forum, so has no feedback system.  I've also used diyaudio.com - again it's just a forum/no feedback system.

-david

4krow

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
  At least I can give them a try. I am soooo done with selling on the garage sale style of fleabay.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
I've bought and sold on audiocircle.com.  unfortunately it's just a forum, so has no feedback system.  I've also used diyaudio.com - again it's just a forum/no feedback system.

Yeah! I went to both to blast you, no way to do so!  Then I calmed down!!   ;D  (Just to be sure no one mistakes the GRIN, my deal with rif was STELLAR!)

I prefer Audio Asylum and diyAudio.  Audio Circle, in comparison, generally, seems a less knowledgeable and less mature population. It really depends on what one is selling.  For the non-DIY type sites....Nationally known brands OK.  DIY and mods/knock-off's, not so much. 

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:00:37 PM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

4krow

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:43 AM
  Gaylons,

I almost forgot, I tried Audio Circle for a very short time before I was really offended by a member there that told me I needed to learn a few things about AC power and how it is made/used, etc. Of course, it turns out that he only knew what he had read on the internet(that makes you an expert). That was enough for me, and I only associate with a couple of sites like this one where intelligent conversation can occur. Not to mention there is no name calling etc at BH.   
         Now, having said all of that, I only hope to sell to someone that either understands audio and the like or is willing to listen to reason. My fleabay customer simply wants to pack up a perfectly good and functioning unit befrore trying any of my advice. Yup, EVERYBODY loses

Offline rif

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:06 AM
I think, with any place to buy/sell, it's much like public speaking - "know your audience".

You can sell parts (transistors, tubes, xformers) or kits (assembled our partially built) on diyaudio, and you get a very international audience, which is very cool. I've even seen them enforce, good naturedly, their policy that posts must be in English.

Audio circle has the advantage (or disadvantage depending on how you look at it) of have industry site sponsors.

-david