Exciting news - new digs!

Doc B. · 14960

Offline ironbut

Reply #45 on: September 06, 2010, 07:40:42 PM
Looks excellent Dan! The TP release covers down the hallway really look classy.
Ya know, when most folks are moving into a new place, the gear they usually listen to is a boombox!

steve koto

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 03:08:56 PM
More good headway today. We leased one third of a larger space for our office. The building was being used by a high tech firm before us, and it was heavily wired for network and phone. Unfortunately all the LAN cables (must have been 50 or so, these guys even had a fiber drop installed) came to a hub in the part of the space that we didn't lease. So we spent the first half day pulling about 17 cables that went to ports in our part of the building thru walls and along chases, and then spent the second half figuring out which cable went where with a continuity beeper and labeling them. In the end we found we have one to four LAN ports in every room but the bathroom. Tomorrow we terminate cut and rerouted LAN cables, hook up switchers and a router and hope the cable guy shows up this week. Once we get internet running we can move in!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JC

Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 04:03:51 PM
I recommend going wireless for the can; it's just safer that way!

As much work as it must have been sorting all of that out, it must be a great feeling to have all of that infrastructure already installed.  It's way less work than starting from scratch, believe it or not.

I presume the espresso maker waits until the very end...

Jim C.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 06:56:09 AM
I presume the espresso maker waits until the very end...

Eileen brought it over Monday. No fridge yet though, so no milk on hand.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pboser

Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 04:49:00 AM
"... no milk on hand."
May I point out that espresso requires no milk?
Lattes?  Cappuccino?  Pfeh!

Peter Boser

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:50 AM
Indeed Shawn and I had double espressos for our afternoon pick me up. I often prefer an Americano, cap or machiatto myself, depending upon my mood. The nice thing is that all will be available at Bottleheadquarters.

LAN cables are done, now we just need to hear back from the cable company and get hooked up so we can begin to move in. Lab carpet came up yesterday and the next step there is a new vinyl tile floor and benches. The new listening room continues to surprise us. It would seem that my gamble of leaving the back walls of the room open to the rest of the space paid off. We have plenty of bass and it seems pretty even. The soundstage is marvelously wide without the instruments or singer's heads growing too big. When we have some more time I will shoot it and see where we need to head with treatments. I think it's going to evolve into a really good room.

I'm in the old office today, keeping all the other balls in the air.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:18 AM
we get things done. This is the new composition vinyl tile floor in the lab, which replaces the carpet that was in there before. Two very messy sticky days of crawling around on our knees, but the end result is a nice light, easy to sweep floor. Workbenches are the next step in this room. Cable guy is supposed to show up Tuesday and once we have internet, the plan is to really move in.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 05:52:33 PM
You guys are going to have some really great digs! Congratulations. Too bad "Bottleheadquarters" is a bit of a trip from the northern plains, otherwise, I'd stop by sometime. The listening room idea is great!

Offline ironbut

Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 06:54:06 AM
The shop looks great.
Those double doors are sure to come in handy too.
I've seen some shops where they have their bins of "occasional" parts on racks with decent casters. They just kept them in a storage room until they were needed and wheeled them into rows in their shop.

steve koto

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 01:28:12 PM
Woo hoo! I am posting from the new office. Just got the network and phone pulled together and most of my office stuff moved today. We will get a little more moved tomorrow and then we will be leaving for Chicago on Thursday.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline q

Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 04:31:50 AM
Congrats! That's got to feel good
I have a sister I've never met about 40min away, a son in japan (flight from Seattle)..so no more excuses for a visit
better start saving me pennies
q

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 03:24:40 PM
Here's a bad phone shot of the of new headphone listening setup we're putting together in the lobby.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bottlehead.com%2Fsc_images%2Fheadphonestation.jpg&hash=60d2eb1ca94ea5fbc38b9a4579278d7ac0f6def5)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 01:56:40 AM
That is the best picture I have seen from a phone.  It isn't high resolution but it is in focus (I think they have bad focusing for the most part) and it is well lighted.  I would have never known it was a phone shot.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:13 AM
Thanks Grainger. Photoshop saves the day once again. Cheap cameras under artificial lighting seem to burn out the highlights with a ghastly yellow overtone and generally oversaturate. I had to hammer this one pretty hard to get it to look vaguely natural. I'm bringing the real camera to the office today so I should have better shots soon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.