if one could?

howardnair · 15985

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 12:42:17 AM
Not quite as smooth, but less than half the price, and with very good bass/mid bass is the JJ 2a3-40s.

For those looking for a new stock 2A3 tube, I'll second this comment: I am very much enjoying my JJ 2A3-40s....

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Clive

Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:31 AM
Going back to EMLs......I read somewhere that the pins on the 45s (and probably the 2A3s) were fatter than is typical resulting in needing to bend back the connections in teflon tube sockets.  Can anyone verify if this is true or false?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 08:19:10 AM
Hi John,

Glad to hear you like the JJs.  I have a couple hundred hours on mine now and the top end opened quite a bit more than it had been, so now I'm back to these as being preferred  over my shuguang 2a3z Treasures.  I think the Treasures will work really nicely with the Cornwalls though.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Thoburn

Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 03:42:05 PM
Safe bet is don't use them. One the one hand I have a pair of custom Jupiters they made for me about 7 years ago that have held up beautifully and sound great in a big custom preamp with plenty of air flow and a very conservative voltage relative to the cap rating. On the other hand we have seen several Jupiters fail used in a S.E.X. amp chassis where it gets very warm. The Stereomour should run a bit more cool under the hood because of its vents (and the Paramount is pretty hot underneath - no Jupiters!), but I wouldn't take the chance. If you do decide to use them, keep them away from the hot bits.

No sign of the rain that is supposed to melt off the snow today. Looks like we may miss our big family Thanksgiving too.

Just FYI,

I have the Jupiter high temperature caps running in my Stereomour for 5 years now. They sound great to me and look just like the day I installed them. Do note that they are the high temperature variant.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 04:41:00 PM
I have the Jupiter high temperature caps running in my Stereomour for 5 years now. They sound great to me and look just like the day I installed them. Do note that they are the high temperature variant.

That is good to know as i have a set of HT caps to put into my S.E.X. amp.   They are rated for 70c max which is the same as the Mundorf Supremes, but they will have to endure a constant 30-40c which had me a bit worried.

M.McCandless