Buy-in used Vinyl Records

docbob52 · 976

Offline docbob52

on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:45 AM

i have a friend who has gone into the nursing home and he has about 3 thousand vinyl records in good condition for sale by his son.  All the records are in great condition as his dad was meticulous in handling them, although his record player was rather primitive Panasonic from the 70’s probably with a ceramic cartridge.  I am unsure if this would have damaged the audio or not.  Advise me on this as to degrading the records.

I have the opportunity  to buy them all.  Motivation of the seller  is to avoid the work involved on selling them on Ebay.

His music was eclectic  from classical to Rock and pop all of which I like.

Can you give me an idea of what you would offer him for the entire lot?  i have no clue.

Your advise is appreciated.

Robert Howard,

Troy, Al

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:23 AM
We can't really advise you on the condition of the records. You need to have a look yourself. Better yet, borrow a few that were his favorites and thus probably played a lot. Play them to see how they sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.