MFSL Lp's

rockpassion · 1005

Offline rockpassion

on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:11 AM
Happy New Year to everyone,

Well, for Christmas my wife got me two MFSL LP's; they are,  Bill Withers greatest hits and Big Brother and the Holding Company Cheap Thrills.  I am not a real MFSL fan as some of their recordings I do not find to be any better than the original.  But sometimes the difference is startling. 

In this case the Big Brother album is just spectacular.  It is a live recording which is really apparent in the soundstage quality.  It is clear and has a great deal of nice bass punch without being muddy.  I usually listen to my  music between 80 and 90 db.  At this level my listening room felt like I was there.  My hat is off to MFSL for this reproduction and real high quality LP on my system. 

The Bill Withers LP is well done.  I do not have anything to compare against so I cannot tell if the quality is better or not.  Ii is a very clear recording and the bass is really nice, again not overblown.  The soundstage is nice but not as good as Big Brother.  I would rate Big Brother at an 8.5 to 9 out of 10.  The Bill Withers 7.5 to 8.0. 

Any thoughts from fellow BH's concerning MFSL LP's.  Look forward to hearing from anyone.  I will say I really  like Analogue Production pressings.   Really high quality remastering.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline adeep42

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:23 AM
I love the MoFi recordings. I believe they are the most reliable of all the audiophile reissuers. I particularly enjoy their 45 rpm reissues. The sonics are amazing, plus you get lots of exercise getting up to change sides.