Building speedball in right from the beginning?

Timbehh · 2254

Offline Timbehh

on: November 18, 2011, 04:41:43 AM
Heya.
I received my package yesterday, and started to build the crack right away. I got the speedball upgrade too, and i

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:29:27 AM
Quite often there is one step you have to add. It usually goes something like this -

" I didn't heed the warning about building the basic kit first and adding the upgrade after I was sure the basic kit worked. I need some help troubleshooting".

We really have found that the easiest, most enjoyable and reliable builds are done in stages. It's not a big deal to nip out the four resistors, and if you have problems you can eliminate all of the circuit that you already constructed and played. Plus this way you get to hear what the upgrade kit does for the sound vs. the basic setup.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:16:25 PM
It's good that you've identified the parts that will be removed when you do the upgrade.  Doc is right, you really want to build it stock, check it out, give it a listen, and then go for the upgrade.

When you solder in the parts that you know you will remove don't get carried away wrapping the leads around the terminal strips.  Just run them straight through with a  few millimeters protruding out the other side and solder them in that way.  You will thank yourself when it is time to remove them.

I'm about to do a Crack build myself and I know from experience on previous kits that it is best to take it one step at a time.  I will build mine stock first.  Then listen to it while I'm putting the printed circuit boards together for the upgrade.  At that point, the upgrade will only take a few minutes.

Take it slow and steady and you will have a great build that will provide years and years of wonderful music.  If you rush it, it will be frustrating to troubleshoot and difficult to maintain in the future.  They can be fickle mistress.  Enjoy them slowly.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline mchurch

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:06:56 AM
I agree with porcupunctis, building it first and modifying second is the best approach for trouble shooting purposes. Identifying the changes ahead of time is quite helpful as noted as it can facilitate conversion. That being said going the other way can work as well if you are careful and have experience, I built my Extended Foreplay from the ground up that way but in my case I have more than 15 years experience in assembling prototype electronic controls and systems for deHavilland aircraft. Basically they would bring me their drawings and boxes of parts and just say put it together.

If you are not comfortable with this type of approach then stick to the advice of Doc as its so easy to miss something minor with unsatisfactory results.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:14:41 AM
Tim,

I get a kick from knowing what a modification does.  So I have built stock, essentially, every Bottlehead kit I have.  None of them have remained stock, except my Eros, I'm still wrapping my head around its sound before modifying it.

So, for me, the journey is part of the enjoyment.  The Bottlehead crew makes official upgrades fairly painless, any part that might be too hard to remove safely is replaced. 

These are the voices of experience speaking here in your thread. 

Offline Timbehh

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 05:20:38 AM
Firstly, thanks for the input / advices. Thinking it through, i will indeed build the stock first, and upgrade later. So far my experience is from solid state only, and i suppose it's nice to take it slowly. Cant wait to plug in my T1's though :)

Offline Timbehh

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:23:18 AM
ok, it

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:17 PM
Cool! Now, wasn't it kind of fun doing it this way ;)...John

John S.

Offline Timbehh

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10:25 AM
Yeah, it was. By the way, only problem i ran was that the 270 ohm 5W resistor was too short to go from 21U to 15U. It was also different looking than in the pictures, but i checked the component with multimeter and i got the right one. I had to solder piece of wire to it, to make it long enough. That was kind of a shame. Should i replace the component later, to one without the soldered wire?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:05:11 AM
You are fine with the extension.  Nothing will be harmed with your fix.