LED Installed Backwards

Emoreigns · 581

Offline Emoreigns

on: November 16, 2023, 06:32:47 AM
I made my first mistake soldering my crack- Installed one of the LED's backwards. Will this effect the performance of the amp? Or will it just be a cosmetic issue with the LED not illuminating?

Also- If I do need to flip it; would you guys recommend one of the solder suckers for this? It's such a tight area I was having a hard time even thinking about how to go about it with solder wick.

Thanks for the help-

-EE

~Happy Listening

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 06:39:06 AM
The amp won't work with the LED installed backwards.  It's very likely that the LED will not be happy with the amount of heat it takes to desolder it and get it out, so I would order some replacements:
https://bottlehead.com/product/hlmp-6000-leds-prod/

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 07:02:52 AM
Ya I figured both of these things were likely last night- and I already ordered a bunch of spare LED's

Did you have an opinion on solder sucker versus solder wick??

Thanks,

~Happy Listening

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 07:06:16 AM
Either one will work.  The one you don't want to use is the solder sucker that has the rubber bulb that you squeeze.  A spring loaded sucker will tend to work a little better than solder wick. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 05:49:13 AM
Had good luck with the solder wick to de-solder last night. Removed both of the LED's this morning just to be sure, and I am going to replace them with 2 of the ones from the speedball upgrade I have sitting here, while my new ones come in the mail.

Thanks again for the advise-

~Happy Listening