Straight 8 - What would you pay

booangler · 3333

Offline booangler

• My first love! Not Me... Fishing!!!
on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:53 AM
Curious to know what a fair price would be for a set of used Straight 8? Also, would you get them if you could?

Thanks, alan

The joy of music should never be interrupted by a commercial - Leonard Bernstein

Denon POA | PJCCS Quickie | Hagerman Bugle | SOTA Sapphire w/ Grado Gold | B&W 602

Offline glynnw

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:21 AM
They seem to go for abt $4-600.  I recently sold mine to a friend of 40+ years for $300 with the condition that I had first dibs if he ever wanted to sell them.  I think they are great speakers for the price.  I replaced them with a pair of Basszillas which cost me almost $2K to complete.  In comparisons, the Basszillas were a little bit clearer and the Straight 8s had a bigger (read better) soundstage.  Had no trouble driving the Straight 8s to very loud levels with 300B amps.

I think at least once a week of building another pair with a more rigid box to see if that would let them match the Basszillas.

Hope that helps.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline bainjs

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:48 AM
There is a pair on ebay right now for $600.  You would have to go to Vermont to pick them up.  Would be a nice trip!

Joel Bain