Need everything. Help me spend 2k. (headphone setup)

klipsch21 · 1072

Offline klipsch21

I have been lurking for a while and reading tons of threads and am overwhelmed by the choices of equipment available.

My current setup is / was a Music streamer II DAC, Matrix M-Stage Amp, Denon D2000 Headphones. My puppy just chewed the crap out of my Denons so I am looking to upgrade my whole setup.

I am looking for some suggestions for equipment and headphones. I listen to artists from: Neil young, Dave Matthews, Metallica, Chili Peppers, Nora Jones, etc. I have about 2-3k to spend and I do not even know where to start. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:42 AM
Amp wise you could consider the Sex its a really sweet amp with a 2W output and switchable impedance it can drive a whole range of headphones its also works amazingly well with efficient speakers and you would have plenty left over for a pair of nice cans

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline grausch

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 12:04:31 PM
What headphones are you looking at? I would start there and then pick the right amp for them. Unless you want a super bang-for-the-buck setup, in which case it would be an upgraded Crack with HD 600/650s.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline klipsch21

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:42:55 AM
I already have a source. I have no where around me to go test any of these headphones / equipment out at so I am just looking for some opinions on equipment that someone already has.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:26:01 AM
I already have a source. I have no where around me to go test any of these headphones / equipment out at so I am just looking for some opinions on equipment that someone already has.
Google head-fi meeting - they happen often all around the country. You'll get a much more accurate and relevant opinion from yourself than from anyone else!

Paul Joppa

Offline goozy

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:04:32 AM
My S.E.X. and ATW1000x combo can take my breath away at times, just sayin' is all.