Resistance testing: Terminal 6 reading as 40 MΩ [resolved]

netowi · 471

Offline netowi

Hello!

I just finished putting together the crack kit, and am doing the resistance testing.

As stated in the title, I'm having issues with terminal 6.
All of the other terminals pass the resistance test, but terminal 6 reads as 40 mohm.

I'll attach pictures in a reply to this post.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:58:12 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline netowi

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 01:00:59 PM
Pictures

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 01:22:23 PM
B3 shouldn't have two wires connected to it.

Terminal 6 connects to the headphone jack with a red wire and that connection at the jack gets shorted to ground through the shorting function of the jack.  If your meter said 40m Ohms, that could be interpreted at 40 milliohms, which would be 0.040 ohms, and that's close enough to 0.  If it's 40M Ohms, that would be 40 Megaohms, which is 40,000,000 Ohms, and that would be a big issue.  What does terminal 10 read?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline netowi

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 03:58:24 PM
Hi Paul,

I'll double check here to figure out what happened with my B3. It looks like one wire is going to 7U, and the other is going to 2L.

Terminal 10 measures 0.8 ohms.

Terminal 6 seemed to be at around 2.68kohm a moment ago (before measuring Terminal 10), but now it's at 6.12 MOhm (checked the manual; it appears to be megaohms) and climbing (it's increasing at about 0.01 MOhm per 0.75 seconds while the multimeter is connected. it appears to drop after a while after I disconnect it). I'm not really sure, but I assume that it has something to do with the multimeter charging the capacitors, as you had mentioned in the manual, though that isn't supposed to be happening with this terminal.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 03:59:21 PM
You have a bad solder joint.  It could be the end of the red wire connecting to the headphone jack.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline netowi

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 05:44:12 PM
Thanks! Got it to measure right. I reflowed a few solder joints that looked a little sketchy, and moved one of the wires from B3 to B2, where it is supposed to be.