Speaker Hook-up Wire

Paully · 25666

Offline Paully

on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:23 AM
A couple of questions.  What wire do people like to use in their speakers?  I have been using Neotech (18 gauge, solid core) for signal path in my amps up to now, but I had just assumed that it was good.  Been reading that most people don

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:06:04 AM
Paully, I usually use this wire for internal speaker hook-up http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-classic-2.5-speaker-wire-per-foot-13-awg/ I like its size and it is easy to work with. As far as differences between PVC and PTFE, teflon has better heat resistance, less shrinkage when you solder. I think the teflon insulated wire is rated for higher voltage, but don't quote me on that, I may be wrong. I like the neotech wire as well, both the PVC and Teflon, I noticed at PCX they now have cotton insulated neotech wire available. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:31 AM
In a speaker the voltage is very low and with an SET amp the current is also very low.   In comparison, the signal path wire has much higher voltage in a tubed amplifier, still very low current.

I would expect that the only concern is insulation rating for the wire, so 600V-700V will be enough for all Bottlehead equipment.  I wouldn't put 300V rated insulation in a SEX, Stereomour or Paramount.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:30:05 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:38:16 AM
Thanks for the replies.  I like the look of that wire.  I, of course, will look around a bit, but I think that just might be the ticket.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:45 AM
Hey Paully - I use pieces of some old Audioquest  Type 4 speaker wire I have laying around - I sleep good at night with that. For short pieces in tight places I use 22 AWG teflon coated solid silver from Homegrown Audio. Again, restful sleep!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline John Roman

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:12 AM
Hey Paully,
I currently use Auric hook up wire which is stranded copper @ 16 awg. It's the same stuff Auricap uses for their capacitor leads. I'm using it in the crossover networks as well as wiring up the drivers. I have to believe the difference heard would be difficult to detect and the types used will vary greatly. Wish I could offer better help but with so many things audiophile it comes down to what works for you.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:25:08 PM
When Clark and Molly Blumenstein arrived in Eugene to set up the ORCAS+BUF SUBs in my Bottlehead Customs system, Clark used Bluejeans Cable Co. Belden 5000 10 Ga. cable in a white jacket to connect to my 2A3 amp. He did not tin the ends, but exercised considerable care to tighten the connection to the binding posts with a pair of pliers and unusual force. He said that they should be checked after awhile and re-tightened if necessary to make a great connection. Since I will not be changing speakers around in my system any time soon; this was no problem for me(who always used banana connectors previously), as these are my last speakers until Clark builds something better. I love them, and discover new things as they mature and develop a healthy relationship with my electronics and my room. All who have sat down to audition are startled at the huge stage they present, even at low volumes. And the fact that they are a bargain is not lost on my friends either. Played the Telarc/Fennel/Holst Wind Band Suites the other day, and was astonished when the kettledrum entered the room! Tactile, true rendition of real percussion. Ya hadda been there. Can't wait for the 400 hour Miracle! Photo below.... My wife declaring them "wonderful", as she listens to Dudamel leading the Simon Bolivar Orchestra in "La Mer" on the DVD "El Sistema". 36" out for perfect imaging.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:36:26 PM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Paully

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
Some great suggestion.  I just went ahead grabbed some 13 awg wire as was suggested from Madisound.  I saw that it was PVC and started to say, no, no way then decided I just can't let myself become "that guy".  So I bought so I could be done with it.  Thanks again!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:13 PM
Paully - I think you are already 'that guy'!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

4krow

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:46:12 PM
I've just got to chime in here. I was crazy about AudioQuest's Midnight speaker cable. So much so, that I took some of it and started to use it for various other purposes. Anything from internal speaker wire to hook up wire. It was made of many solid strands of high purity copper. But here is the surprise---the ground conductors had an insulation that was SEMI-CONDUCTIVE. No kidding! it has about 10 ohms of resistance. I use it still as a ground, with CAUTION. Pretty weird huh?

Offline Paully

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:01:46 PM
Paully - I think you are already 'that guy'!

I know.  Oh well.  I can pretend though, right?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
Cool thread, lots of ideas going on. Here's my (small) technical contribution:

1) Teflon is an excellent, linear dielectric. That means it should make good capacitors (it does!). In speakers, the capacitive reactance between wires is very, very small compared to the driver impedances. In tube amps, the impedances are high and the capacitance between wires is much more likely to have an effect. So I would expect teflon insulation to be much mroe important in amps than in speakers.

2) In speakers, the low impedances mean that you can't ignore wire resistance. So wire gauge is important, or at least it can be.

Paul Joppa

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:31:47 PM
I've never worried about using teflon in speakers, I try to use all teflon in my amps though. I tried to find the voltage ratings of the Neotech PVC and Teflon hook-up wire, could not find that info. I did find info on the new cotton insulated wire, seems to be an interesting design. http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/neo_76111.pdf

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Paully

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 02:12:36 AM
Ok, given that I am that guy even if I don't like to admit it, you do realize I am going to have to go change all the wire in my amplifier from PVC to Teflon now?  Glad I went ahead and sprung for the 13 gauge wire in my speakers.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:24 AM
  .  .  .   In tube amps, the impedances are high and the capacitance between wires is much more likely to have an effect. So I would expect Teflon insulation to be much more important in amps than in speakers.  .  .  

Is it that the wire capacitance is large compared to the inter-electrode capacitances in the tube?  Would Teflon wire cause a high frequency roll off.  

Paully, go trendy, go with cotton covered.  Seriously, I have heard some cotton covered interconnects that were pretty impressive!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:42:06 AM by Grainger49 »