Speaker Hook-up Wire

Paully · 25668

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 12:47:06 AM
Just adding to this insanity:

Resistance=Rho*Length/Cross Sectional Area

Offline Paully

Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:56 AM
Well, I ordered some of that 13 gauge Madisound wire and I also order some 16 gauge Jupiter cotton insulated wire.  Just couldn't help myself.  I thought I might rewire some of the signal path wire on my amps with the Jupiter wire when I do some other work.  I have no idea which one I am going to use for my crossovers and hook-up wire inside the model 19's I am rebuilding.  And since I am probably not ever going to try one then get back in there and redo it with the other, I suppose I will flip a coin and call it good!

4krow

Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 08:17:46 AM
There certainly are a lot of choices for wire! One of my favorites is also the biggest pain to work with, and that is litz wire. The problem that I have is no secret----stripping it! Any ideas about how to go about it? I have used a scraping technique with a razor blade, or use steel wool to do the job. When prepped, I use a thick liquid flux and then wipe it off hoping that it has any leftover scrapings attached to it. It still is not what I want for an end result.

Offline John Roman

Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:07 AM
Eric and Greg,
You guys brothers? ;D
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:43 AM
   .  .  .   I also order some 16 gauge Jupiter cotton insulated wire.  Just couldn't help myself.  .  .  .   

LOL, and I did!  Your wife will back me on your lack of control when it comes to certain things audio.

Offline Paully

Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 11:16:16 AM
Obsessive compulsive is hard to live with.

No idea how to strip litz wire, truth is I use solid core as much as humanly possible.

4krow

Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:35 PM
John,

For the first time in my life, I doubt my fathers stories about going out of town to play piano for a dance job.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 04:30:21 PM
so thats what happened!....hum. I always liked Billy Joel. Interesting...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:52 PM
Greg, a solder pot works well for litz wire. Kind of an expensive tool if you don't use it much.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 12:43:24 AM
Eric ... you're always quick with a joke or to light up a smoke  ;D

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:17 AM
Nice Desmond!

We need more humor in this messed up world!
regards gents,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

4krow

Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:15 PM
Eric(bro),
  Once again I find you rude and boring....so much so, that I will have to increase my therapy sessions to 5 times per week.

It has been my experience with silver plated copper wire (Cardas) that if used in just the right spot ( I like it in input, and speakers ), the sound can retain the detail so correct to me. No doubt, I will like it more and more as I age.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 04:44:02 PM
Hey Greg - I cant disagree with the rude and boring part... I work hard at that! With that said, its good that you are getting the therapy you so desperately need. The 'family' and I have been discussing that lately. There was some talk about an 'intervention'.

As far as the silver plated copper, I have the feeling that going with a good brand (ex. Cardas) you are probably going to get good results. When it comes to wires, IMO it pays to worship the right god, even if your offering costs you more money. I have little doubt that your Cardas sounds as good as my JPS Labs. There, I hope that makes you feel better!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 06:12:18 PM
Somehow, the contents of this thread got me thinking about Beavis and Butthead do America. The scene where they meet the two roadies, I just can't decide who is Beavis or who is Butthead. My first vote would be Eric as Beavis, I could see Eric hopped up on espresso doing the whole Cornholio bit.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:56 AM
LOL!!!

Eric