Bottleneck DIY speaker wire comparison (MD/VA/DC/DE/PA)

RayP · 19312

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 09:04:43 AM
Wow concertina speaker cable, half tweak, half security system. I think, rather then buying it. You should sneak into your local prison or military facility and steal it  8)...
"Dude, you're still using barbed wire? That's SO 19th century ... you gotta try RAZOR wire! Yeah, that's the ticket! Gillette makes a good one...  be sure to anneal it in hot blood..."

I had a feeling that Paul might be one of 'those'. A 'Renaissance man' of sorts. In touch with his 'darkness'. I'm not saying I'm not in that same camp. Complete with hard shell analytic exterior, with a black hole infinite interior.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline castlesteve

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:05 AM
  Ok we need 8` cables to avoid stretching issues. I say we do 1/2 the meet on cables and then do a run what you brung for the afternoon. I am a terrible cynic when it comes to speaker cables and i suspect that the differences will be minute if not non existent. I am going to set up my KT88 amp for 4ohms. Can someone bring a nice preamp as mine is misbehaving at the moment and needs some work.
    It looks like the meet will be late October rather than November.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 08:36:18 AM
I plan on bringing a group of topology comparisons using Cat6 wiring provided by Lee Hankins.  Here are my ideas:

- 6 twisted cables (audioholics V3)
- 6 braided cables (audioholics V4 - this is supposed to have more than twice the capacitance of V3)
- 6 cables deconstructed into single wires, then reassembled into flat side by side wires.  I'm going to try sandwiching them between popsicle sticks.

While I'm at it... maybe I will make a set of 6 cables that are not twisted, or braided at all. 

Also, I was thinking about music tracks to use.  I read about about a power cable comparison that used both audiophiles and layman.  There was an assortment of music used - Acoustic, Electric, Choral, etc.  The listeners would listen to cable A, then cable B, then an unknown cable X.  The listeners had to say whether they thought X was cable A or cable B.  If I recall, neither group was able identify the power cords consistently (more than 50% of the time) when you looked at the overall scores.  However, I think they were able to identify the cables most consistently when listening to Vocals only music. 

I don't want to debate the outcome of the test, or the methodology.  I simply found it interesting that Vocals only gave the most consistent outcome in the test.  My completely uneducated guess is that humans are more in tune to hearing differences between humans than they are other instruments.  Sort of like when you hear a band that gets a new lead singer - the singer might be good, but it doesn't sound right because its not the same person (with the exception of the new singer for Journey... look him up on YouTube and close your eyes.  Its remarkable). 

What do you think?

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 01:34:23 PM
Dave - I agree on using vocals. I heard some 20.7 Maggies the other day that were not set up with the 'proper' system IMO. The vocals were noticeably 'shallow' and lifeless. The rest of the sound was thrilling, but the vocals were the giveaway. Piano may also be a good test, although I dont know of many systems that get piano exactly right.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline RayP

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:47 PM
I would agree on vocals for the comparisons test. And that is a great selection of cables to test.

I saw plenty of barbed wire on my drive out to Broken Hill in Oz today. However it all appeared to be in use in fences so I kept thoughts of wire cutters out of my mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hill,_New_South_Wales

It's an interesting place in the middle of nowhere. Years ago I stayed in the hotel with the weird murals that was featured in the film Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Priscilla,_Queen_of_the_Desert

ray

Ray Perry

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 05:15:12 AM
How cool! - I always wanted to see the wizard.

Eric

Offline castlesteve

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:20 AM
  The meet is going to be on Sunday the 28th of October and we will start the proceedings at 10.00 am. Please bring all new and old equipment you want to and cables of course. I will supply some basic snacks and drinks but if you want beer etc please feel free to bring some. I thought we might do 1/2 a day on the cables and the other 1/2 as a free for all. Everyone is welcome, let me know if you need directions.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:56 AM
I will have to be there closer to 11AM.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline RayP

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:40:53 AM
For those who are bringing cables, could you please nominate what you are bringing and what parameter will be different between the two.

I will be bringing
1 - barbed steel wire
2 - unbarbed steel wire -
test 1 v 2 - do barbs (raising above ground) make a different

3 - unbarbed copper wire - no insulation
test 2 v 3 - does copper sound different from steel

If I can find some
4 - aluminium wire - no insulation
test 3 v 4 - does copper sound different from aluminium

I will attempt to make the gauges of all wires similar.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 03:16:40 AM
My nominations are above... parameter will be different geometries. 

David B Bliss

Offline castlesteve

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 10:19:28 AM
  I have all sorts of copper and aluminium wire we can play with. i also have cat5 and tstat wire and some coax and also some shielded cabling. If anyone needs any wiring let me know.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:39 AM
The Cat6 cable arrived today.  My fingers are already starting to ache.  Thanks Lee.

David B Bliss

Offline RayP

Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:49 AM
I have returned from Oz and am now constructing my barbed wire speaker cables. Since I haven't been able to find 64 feet of barbed wire so far without buying a huge roll of the stuff, I am going the DIY route and have made my own barbed wire.

Photos and brief description at
http://bottlenecksaudio.blogspot.com/2012/10/speaker-wire-comparison.html

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Grainger49

Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 10:50:00 AM
Ray,

You crack me up!  Loved the pictures!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 12:39:21 PM
I have returned from Oz and am now constructing my barbed wire speaker cables. Since I haven't been able to find 64 feet of barbed wire so far without buying a huge roll of the stuff, I am going the DIY route and have made my own barbed wire.

Photos and brief description at
http://bottlenecksaudio.blogspot.com/2012/10/speaker-wire-comparison.html

ray

Looks cool Ray!

Dont forget to cryo those babies before you twist them... Very important. Of course you want to put them through the cable cooker for no more that 3 days before a good listen.

god speed! - Eric

Eric