Bottleneck DIY speaker wire comparison (MD/VA/DC/DE/PA)

RayP · 19313

Offline RayP

Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 12:48:04 PM
I was thinking about the cryo treatment, but I was leaning towards a rub down with Laphroaig whisky http://www.laphroaig.com/ or even Pierre Ferrand cognac http://www.pierreferrandcognac.com/en/ to bring out something extra in the imaging.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:15:30 AM
By the way, I have been building a breadboard version of Jim Dowdy's 6V6 amp that unfortunately did not work at the competition. Hopefully some parts will arrive tomorrow or Friday.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Wanderer

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:57 AM
..... but I was leaning towards a rub down with Laphroaig whisky http://www.laphroaig.com/ ....... to bring out something extra in the imaging.

ray

Sounds like alcohol abuse to me.

I am a Laphroaig fan but have only had the 10 year. I'd love to try some "Cask Strength" but the description, "emphatic, full bodied", makes me wonder if a respirator is required if you open it in an enclosed space. I find 10 year pretty damn "emphatic" already.      

I am betting that applied to cables it would make the image smokier.    

Kevin R-M

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 05:59:47 AM
Kevin,

You are right, it goes in the mouth.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:17 AM
I plan on attending the meet on Sunday but I have not been able to complete my cables.  First I was ill (just a virus that wiped me out).  More recently I have been helping my father which, unfortunately, is quite serious.  I will be able to bring a pair of Cross Connected 89259 cables and a Bottlehead powercord.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline balancedtriode

Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:26 AM
Hey guys,
I am looking forward to hearing the results from the comparison. I am going to be building my own speaker cables soon,
the results may affect how I build them.
thanks,
Coltrane (and yes that is my real first name...)

Thorens TD-160 Custom(rebuilt by me) with SME 3009 arm
Bottlehead Seduction
Extended Foreplay-III (build underway)
Stereomour Power Amp conversion (Heavily Modded)
Klipsch Cornwalls' with Vertical Horns

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 05:54:55 AM
yeh, well my middle name is Soultrain...... Pronounced just like they did on TV!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline RayP

Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 11:23:02 AM
Steve and I have exchanged emails and we have decided to call off the meet on Sunday due to the approaching hurricane. The forecast is looking 'pretty grim' for our area. We will reschedule the meet to a later date.

Now I will have time to burn in the cables.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline castlesteve

Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:13 AM
  Sorry about the meet guys but i figured that the subtle differences in the various cables wouldn`t come through too well if the power is out. Hey it gives me more time to build things! Maybe now i can finish my preamp also.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 02:01:57 PM
Batten down the hatches, don't park under any trees, and stay safe!

Paul Joppa

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 03:24:34 PM
I could bring my wind up Victrola, the barb wire could come in handy for spare needles. ;D

Good plan, I am going to stay in and hunker down.

Ray, are you going to ride it out, or head for the hills?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:30:46 PM by 2wo »

John S.

Offline RayP

Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:54 PM
We already had a mini tornado like down draft in a severe June storm that wiped out a few trees around our house so a few more may come down. Right now the predicted path

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/235535.shtml?5day?large#contents

has the storm center right above us at 2pm Tuesday. Of course since it is just a prediction which means there is a very good chance it will hit elsewhere. We are high enough up not to be worried by storm surge and we often get storms that lead to power blackouts so we are used to that. It's a strong house with a yurt shape which is not effected by wind very much.

Bottom line, we ride it out.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline castlesteve

Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:11 PM
We already had a mini tornado like down draft in a severe June storm that wiped out a few trees around our house so a few more may come down. Right now the predicted path

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/235535.shtml?5day?large#contents

has the storm center right above us at 2pm Tuesday. Of course since it is just a prediction which means there is a very good chance it will hit elsewhere. We are high enough up not to be worried by storm surge and we often get storms that lead to power blackouts so we are used to that. It's a strong house with a yurt shape which is not effected by wind very much.

Bottom line, we ride it out.

ray

Good luck mate,
             if i see you floating down past us in Va i`ll pluck you and your good lady out.

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:09 AM
This will give me some time to finish up my cables.  I have made a 6 cable braid but I haven't gotten around to stripping and terminating.  I've tried twisting 6 cables, but the twists aren't consistent and immediately unravel - not sure what the best way to do this is so we might end up having to compare braids to random.  I want to make a ribbon-like, but because of other time constraints I might not be able to.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 02:06:12 PM
David,

Really interested in what you think of the cross-connected 89259.

Also, if you give those other cables a half-twist each time you wrap one around the core of cables, they'll stay together much easier.  If  you've ever seen a 3-strand rope braiding machine work, you'll understand what I mean, but otherwise it's pretty hard to explain in words.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)