NEW WEBSITE COMING!

Doc B. · 14164

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #120 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:20 AM
auto-resizing is something that facebook does, but we are not quite as big as facebook and our staff of programmers is noticeably smaller. I normally resize my pictures from 3000x4000 to 300x400 before posting to the internet. The easy fix is to limit the size of photos, which also keeps our server's memory usage manageable. Just sayin'...

Paul Joppa

Offline xander14

Reply #121 on: March 19, 2014, 10:25:34 AM
Sorry, I know this comment is related to the 'new' forum rather than the new website, but this is the first time I log into here in a while rather than just checking in / reading, and I'm really surprised it stayed black/grey after login.  I suppose I always thought/assumed you all had copied the somewhat recent geekhack change where you get black/grey before logging in and then off-white thereafter.

I realize it matches the BH.com / new website scheme better, but a little hard on the eyes, no??...  Am I missing some way to change a user-defined setting? 

Thanks

Offline xander14

Reply #122 on: March 22, 2014, 01:47:41 PM
Sorry, I know this comment is related to the 'new' forum rather than the new website, but this is the first time I log into here in a while rather than just checking in / reading, and I'm really surprised it stayed black/grey after login.  I suppose I always thought/assumed you all had copied the somewhat recent geekhack change where you get black/grey before logging in and then off-white thereafter.

I realize it matches the BH.com / new website scheme better, but a little hard on the eyes, no??...  Am I missing some way to change a user-defined setting? 

Thanks
bump

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #123 on: March 23, 2014, 06:11:51 AM
I switched on the ability for a member to chose from a list of themes. I have not tested them, as I find the current setup very easy on the eyes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #124 on: March 23, 2014, 07:30:15 AM
auto-resizing is something that facebook does, but we are not quite as big as facebook and our staff of programmers is noticeably smaller. I normally resize my pictures from 3000x4000 to 300x400 before posting to the internet. The easy fix is to limit the size of photos, which also keeps our server's memory usage manageable. Just sayin'...

I too am noticing this on mobile devices.  With the old site you could open any photo and it would size to the screen.  With the new site it's huge and I have stopped opening photos on mobile because of it.  It's fine on a computer of course. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #125 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

My understanding of SMF is that this is a feature that can be turned on via the admin settings or via some CSS code as shown below.  Here's a discussion of auto-resizing from the Simple Machines forum.  You might want to show this to your programmers.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505050.0

Bob Trancho

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #126 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:41 AM
Thanks Bob, that is encouraging. I did set resize for 1024 to get stuff to fit on PC screens OK. This looks like it will solve the issue for everyone.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #127 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:50 AM
Thanks Bob, that is encouraging. I did set resize for 1024 to get stuff to fit on PC screens OK. This looks like it will solve the issue for everyone.

Great!  And it's not surprising to see that, in addition to being chief cook and bottle(head) washer, you are a bit of a programmer as well!

Edit - Doesn't look like the popups from thumbnails are resizing, though.  Still coming up at original sizes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:04:18 AM by btrancho »

Bob Trancho

Offline Grainger49

Reply #128 on: March 23, 2014, 10:55:47 AM
BTW, the pictures I see now are fine.  They must be resizing now.

Offline btrancho

• Trancho Photography
Reply #129 on: March 23, 2014, 12:21:03 PM
BTW, the pictures I see now are fine.  They must be resizing now.

They seem to be resizing okay in Firefox and IE Explorer but my Chrome browser isn't resizing pop-ups from thumbnails so it looks more like a browser issue.

Okay - I had Chrome display the Bottlehead forum at 110% or 120% to improve visibility on my huge monitor.  Doing so short circuits the resize of the images.  Set to 100% the resize works fine.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:32:26 PM by btrancho »

Bob Trancho

Offline bobster

Reply #130 on: March 23, 2014, 05:13:53 PM
Accckkk.  I changed the theme and the new theme doesn't have a "profile" button to allow me to change it back.

Any ideas?

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #131 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
I changed it back for you. There are now two choices, the BHG theme (our theme) and the SMF default theme, called Core Theme.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:44:31 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline bobster

Reply #132 on: March 23, 2014, 05:54:29 PM
Whew.  Thanks.   :-[

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland