New Guy Warning!!

ebag4 · 20125

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:11 AM
My Mundorf's finally arrived!!

I have installed them and they are currently playing with zero hours on them.  No huge improvement like there was with the JJs but I am hearing a bit more clarity and more air (could definately be in my head )! More as they burn in.  Here is a pic:

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hawthorneaudio.com%2Fphotos%2Falbums%2Fuserpics%2F10060%2Fmundorfs.JPG&hash=25b7132529085290d253262f61d481ce3506265a)

This is the last of the upgrades I am currently planning.   The amp has been sounding really great for the last day or so.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline ebag4

Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:38 AM
Question:
If you look at the pic in the previous post you will note that all of the caps are labeled from left to right.  I just realized that these two halves of the amp are actually mirror images of each other which means I have the (non-polarized) caps installed in two different directions between left and right as far as the circuits are concerned.  So what do you think, is it worth taking the time to swap the parafeed and coupling caps around on one half of the amp?  Although they are non-polarized one of the leads is the in-going lead and the other is the outbound lead, also keep in mind that I have 20+ hours on the Obbligato Premium Golds and over 200 hours on the Obbilgato Copper, the Mundorfs were just installed about an hour or so ago.

Thanks,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:34 AM
The known technical reason for directionality of non-polarized capacitors is to minimize pickup of hum and noise through electrical fields. So if you can't identify a difference in hum and noise between channels, it not important.

I'm not saying that nobody will ever hear any other difference, and I'm not intending to pre-judge whether they are imagining it if they do :^), just that this is the only one I know of that is based on known physics.

Paul Joppa

Offline ebag4

Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 09:55:22 AM
Thanks for the response Paul.  No disproportionate hum between the channels so I guess I am good to go.  And yes, they are imaging and presenting a very satisfying soundstage, I am really loving this amp.

edit: Whoops, you said imagining, not imaging....nevermind!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:57:00 AM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 06:20:03 AM
I'm pleased to see you have made your mods and that they are starting to burn in.  I would give the whole setup at least 100 hours, 200 would be better still, before I made up my mind.  That means leaving it alone and listening to LOTS of music!!!  Should be a labor of love....

Congratulations and I'm really excited to see the Mundorf's in the coupling cap position. 

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline ebag4

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08:09 AM
This is the best amp I have owned.  I am getting amazing sound now that it is starting to get a few more hours on it.  Sounds very even and accurate but musical with great textures and tone.  I am really loving it!!  Playing Deacon Blues the opening cymbals are in the room, perfect.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:10:23 AM by ebag4 »

GO CARDS!!!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:23 AM
Ed,

That's especially gratifying to hear!  Funny, I was thinking about my desert island discs, and Aja was right up there.  Just love that album, and have since the day I bought it home when it came out.  Of course you've got some really nice speakers there too :-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ebag4

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 06:57:13 AM
Jim, this thing just keeps getting better.  The cymbals and chimes just stand out, I have never heard them so accurately recreated, ever.  The bass is outstanding, the textures, detail, everything, I am a very happy camper.

Best,
Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 06:39:42 PM
I'm so happy for you, Ed.   You are right, it just keeps getting better.  Now you see why I had to get those Radian's and the Mundorf/alpha core crossovers started.  Congratulations!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!