Random single Pop noises from new SEX

yay · 3182

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:09 AM
Well, at this point I would bring in another potential source: outside interference.

Can you take your SEX amp in to work to see if the same issue happens there? 

What I'm thinking is that you may potentially share your power utilities with neighbors, or there may be some appliance in your home that is sending out some noise into the power lines periodically, and that may be what you're hearing. 

In a lot of solid state electronics, there are regulators that can swamp out this transient garbage, so you may not have noticed it before.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline yay

Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 11:42:14 PM
Hey, i'm getting a UPS for my pc and monitor, (waiting for it to arrive) and will also hook up the SEX to it. As far as i understand it, that might be able to help if it's the fault of "dirty" power(spikes). will post about results here. i wouldn't be surprised if it's power related, lots of people live in this building and it's a very old building.

i could also try switching out the tubes, i switched the left for the right one but the popping still kept happening 90% of the time on the left side. (switched speakers and speaker cables too)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:44:34 PM by yay »

Offline yay

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 03:56:06 AM
Okay, long time no update.
I asked some other people, and they suggested switching some of the capacitors from left to right to see if that moves the pop.
it seems the 0.1uf 400v capacitor might be the problem.

i want to just buy a replacement here, and check it out.
they are not very expensive, and i want to get some mundorf since they are widely available in germany.

0.1uf 630v 3% with a size of 10x19mm should work fine?

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 06:53:18 AM
That's pretty close to the size of the Daytons, so it should work fine.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline JeffYoung

Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:21 AM

Yes, the Mundorf MKP should work well there.

If you decide to upgrade to one of the premium Mundorfs, do the parafeed caps at the same time.  (They're the 1.5uF 630V ones.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Offline yay

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 01:27:34 AM
Ye, i was going to switch out th 1.5uF aswell.
While switching them around i touched one with my soldering iron, so i would rather switch them aswell.
Good reason to splurge on some nice caps ;D

Offline yay

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
Just noticed one thing, when i turn on the amp for the first time of the day, my computer screen goes black for a second. this seems like something that might not be normal?  ;D

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 06:33:38 PM
Yea, you need to resolder all the connections to the monitor 😎...John

John S.

Offline yay

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 02:21:51 AM
i guess it's my terrible power i got in this building, i ordered a power conditioner to see if that will help with weird stuff like this.

Offline yay

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 10:57:36 PM
the monitor stuff was fixed by a power conditioner!

i switched the caps and i still have the pops.. i guess switching them around was just luck for a few hours since the popping can't be anticipated.

now i switched out the caps, it was working all well (but still pops) - and today there is an added heavy channel imbalance!
i'm starting to get really frustrated with this, i have little time and nothing works or even makes things worse..

one channel barely gets amplified, and i turn the pot way up it distorts heavily

is there someone in europe who might be able to fix this for me? i'm starting to give up
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:02:27 PM by yay »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 07:24:50 AM
A channel imbalance will usually be accompanied by voltage imbalances.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline yay

Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 07:27:00 AM
I had a friend check it out for me, he resoldered and narrowed it down to the tubes - which i checked first thing, but only by swapping the same tubes around.
Turns out they are both equally bad! With a new set of tubes there turned up no popping sounds whatsoever.