Wiring an elma switch attenuator for a SEX 2.1

ZacharyP · 1532

Offline ZacharyP

on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:39 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out the ideal way to hook up my Elma 24 step attenuator.  Bought from someone for a very good price as a gift of sorts, it came with a small piece If wire connecting the L and R channel wafers, which changes the wiring scheme compared to the stock pot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Need to double check with my ohmmeter, but A is input and B is output.

Any help, or creative ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:29 AM
Turn it down all the way, then find the two pads that show about 0 ohms between them.

Turn it all the way up, then find the two pads that show about 0 ohms between them.

Report your findings and we can help you install it correctly.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ZacharyP

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:48:30 PM
Turn it down all the way, then find the two pads that show about 0 ohms between them.

Turn it all the way up, then find the two pads that show about 0 ohms between them.

Report your findings and we can help you install it correctly.

-PB

Forgot to add this is a 50k attenuator, Not that it should effect anything.

When it is all the way down pads A and C read zero, c is ground, and B reads 50k

Turned all the way up, pads A and B zero out, and A and C, and B and C both measure 50k.

Thanks for all the help.  I have an Alps Blue Velvet along With the stock pot if worse comes to worse

Edit: also when turned all the way up if I measure A (or B) on the top deck and A (or B) on the bottom deck it equals out to 100k, but I assume that's the combined resistance of both decks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:20:29 PM by ZacharyP »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:34:40 PM
If "C" is ground, then wire the black wires from the STP wires to the "C" pads.  You'll need to pick one level to be left, and one level to be right.  It doesn't matter which you pick, just be consistent.

"B" takes the red wire coming from the RCA jacks.

"A" takes the red wire going towards to the tube socket.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ZacharyP

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:08:21 PM
If "C" is ground, then wire the black wires from the STP wires to the "C" pads.  You'll need to pick one level to be left, and one level to be right.  It doesn't matter which you pick, just be consistent.

"B" takes the red wire coming from the RCA jacks.

"A" takes the red wire going towards to the tube socket.

Thanks so much CB!  That is what I thought, but I needed confirmation.  Have a great week!