Experimenting with caps

pro_crip · 5490

Offline pro_crip

on: July 24, 2010, 02:58:41 AM
I was curious, when one is experimenting with cap sizes and assuming I stay within voltage ratings and outside the power supply, can I damage the the circuit by going too high or too low? I know there'll be audible diffs, I just don't want to fry an amp. Thanks

rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:42:19 AM
In some instances the cap value can change.  For instance PJ said there would be no problem with upgrading the FP III output caps, 2.0uF, with "better" 0.47uF caps.  In most all cases the voltage rating should stay the same as you indicated.  I don't know of an instance where the Bottlehead selected cap has a voltage rating higher than needed.  That eats up cost and space, but it might be done somewhere.

Decreasing the value of signal path caps will raise the point where the RC roll off starts in the bass range. PJ aims for a pretty low fo, the 3dB down point of that roll off.  Increasing the value will lower the fo, but you will waste cash.  You might want to get an even better cap instead.

In Bottlehead equipment you can't damage the circuit changing signal path caps.  Don't mess with the RIAA EQ caps in a phono preamp.

Offline pro_crip

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:09 AM
Thanks grainger, just the info I needed and pretty much expected. Just needed some reassurance from those that knows. A round of Woodford Reserve on me :)

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:49:40 PM
Hello Rich, I would say you're OK as long as you stay within half an order of magnitude in either direction.  If you really want to try, for instance, a 100uf cap at the output of the Foreplay, a small circuit change would be in order.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:44:14 AM
Expermenting can get expensive fast.  I'm very interested in this topic, because the extended Foreplay has the 3.0uF Auricaps for coupling caps.  I founds some V-Cap CuTF in .47uF that I would love to try, but at that price, I need to know I'm not rolling off any base. 

Can anyone post the math that is necessary to "show" how it all works.  FWIW, my extended Foreplay is only connected to my 300B Paramounts using 24" Silver Interconnects.

Thanks,

Ken

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:43 AM
Ken,

Edited, I shouldn't leave misinformation out here.

Let's see.  If you are talking about the FP III final output cap, the formula is 1/2*Pi*R*C.  The formula gives the 3dB down point.  Pi is the constant, R is the input resistance of the power amp following the FP III and C is the capacitance.  Remember that 1uF is 0.000001, or 0.47uF is 0.00000047.  For the Paramount I calculate Fo, 3dB down point, of 1.3599 Hz.  The response will be essentially flat a decade above that at 13.599 Hz.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:20:28 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline JC

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:48 AM
Isn't micro 6 places to the right of the decimal?  As in 1 microFarad = .000001 Farads?

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:29:42 AM
Yes, that makes the fo, 3dB down point at 1.3599 Hz and the response essentially flat at 13.599 Hz. Still very low frequencies.

Edited the above post.

I shouldn't post after working in the yard for 2 hours.  It is near 100 here today.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:17:28 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:20 AM
Hot weather can have an effect on the maths, indeed.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline JC

Particularly comical when doing it on a cocktail napkin, I might add!

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:16 PM
A cocktail might have helped.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 03:14:05 PM
Even though the F0 looks good in the edited calculation, you can still hear some cap effects up to 10x that frequency, so take it all with a grain of salt -- it may be fine, or your upper bass;/lower mids may sound a little off.

Also, the cap following a tube rectifier often can't be changed beyond the max for the tube type -- for example, 55-60 uF for a 5AR4.  I realize this doesn't apply to any BH gear, but it's a useful thing to know.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:53:17 AM
Expermenting can get expensive fast.  I'm very interested in this topic, because the extended Foreplay has the 3.0uF Auricaps for coupling caps.  I founds some V-Cap CuTF in .47uF that I would love to try, but at that price, I need to know I'm not rolling off any base.

Go with the OIMP's if possible.  I say this because most of the teflon V-caps are made for high voltages, and the Foreplay III does not demand this.  Teflon capacitors are huge almost no matter what you do, but having a higher rated voltage really makes them giant!  In the Foreplay III, this might present you with some mounting issues.  

Even in the standard teflon lineup, there are some larger values with lower rated voltages that should work well.  0.47uf at the output of a Foreplay going into a Paramount isn't a huge issue, but if you plug your preamp in to any old solid state amp, you will likely lose significant amounts of bass.  

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline corndog71

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 06:44:16 AM
I've used the oimp vcaps in my foreplay II and thought they sounded better than Solens.  After a long time and even changing different tube types I feel they're not so great.  I would recommend Erse or Sonicap.  There are lots of others I haven't tried so there are plenty of other options.  I've read some good things about Clarity caps and will be checking those out soon.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline ssssly

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 04:27:12 AM
Which caps are you speaking of for the V-caps? Power supply or signal?

Have never used them myself but have only heard good things about them.

Have pretty much gone to all motor runs with a few Obbligato PSU caps for power supplies (have a Solen in the PSU of my SEX). And in my FPII my favorite signal caps are Jupiter wax caps.

Had been debating picking up some V-caps to try out but have been holding off because of the price. What don't you like about them?