Experimenting with caps

pro_crip · 5489

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 05:41:16 AM
Here are Paul Birkeland's ideas about V-caps:  http://www.v-cap.com/bottlehead.php

Long break-in, but I love them in these pieces Paul built for me.  Cheers, Hank

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:25 AM
PB,

On that page Hank just gave the link for, it appears that there is a picture (?) of a 2a3 amp with the CuTF caps.  Any more you can say about thhe amp and it's sonics with these caps?  I have been considering the CuTF caps for the Stereomour coupling caps.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 07:48:47 AM
PB,

On that page Hank just gave the link for, it appears that there is a picture (?) of a 2a3 amp with the CuTF caps.  Any more you can say about thhe amp and it's sonics with these caps?  I have been considering the CuTF caps for the Stereomour coupling caps.

Thanks,

Jim

I used the V-Cap CuTF for coupling Caps in my Paramounts.  400 hours is 16.66 days and feels like forever.  Tonight at 2100 hrs will be day 15 for me.  The first week I ran them in my garage system (wired in series with a pair 10 ohm 10 watt resisters).  After I installed them in the Paramounts, I've been running them 24x7 (with a small fan to help control heat). 
Last night was the first time I sat down and listened critically.  Wow, significant improvement (which was still better than I've ever had).    Everything better.

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods

Offline corndog71

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:01 AM
Which caps are you speaking of for the V-caps? Power supply or signal?

Have never used them myself but have only heard good things about them.

Have pretty much gone to all motor runs with a few Obbligato PSU caps for power supplies (have a Solen in the PSU of my SEX). And in my FPII my favorite signal caps are Jupiter wax caps.

Had been debating picking up some V-caps to try out but have been holding off because of the price. What don't you like about them?

I was referring to the cheaper OIMP v-caps.  I was using a pair of 3.3uF as output caps.  They're ok but kind of boring.  I'm surprised by their performance but maybe they would work better in a different application.

I have a pair of the premium teflon v-caps which I use in my sex amp.  Those I would highly recommend as they just get out of the way and let all the music and dynamics through.  They really took my sex amp to another level of resolution.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 04:12:58 AM
Hank here;
The 2A3 Amp you remark on was built for me by Paul Birkeland using a ton of iron(3,5 watts per channel weighing 47 pounds!); including tasty MagneQuest TFA 2004 Jr. Cobalt/M6 outputs. A detailed description can be found here:   

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,622.0.html

Though the break-in was very long, the CuTF caps really sing in this topology. Paul used the V-caps in both linestage and phonostage also, described here:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,64.0.html

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,621.0.html

Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 04:18:59 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline Tickwomp

Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 08:04:48 AM
Wow Hank your system is almost a thread killer!  Very nice!!

FWIW, there's a nice online calculator on the V-Cap site.  I just pulled the trigger on some CuTF .33uF caps for my Foreplay.  If these make as much difference as I hoping for I'll be really happy!

Mach2 Mac Mini->Amarra Mini-> Chronos Athena USB Cable->Audio Note 4.1LE DAC->24ga Ag w/WBT0101ag ICs-> Audio Note L4 Remote->24ga Ag w/WBT0102Ag ICs-> Paramounts w/MQ Nickel Opts and EML 2a3 Mesh Plates->16ga Ag Bi Wire->Klipsch RF-7 w/DeanG Mods