Stereomour Build

marantzfan · 5634

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:17 AM
Does it do it with all of the inputs? See if it makes a difference if you touch the selector switch or the volume pot. Check the RCA jacks for shorts or a bad connection. Put a temp jumper across the grid stopper.  If that doesn't do it we can try running a direct  jumper from one of the RCA jacks to the input grid of the 12AU7...John       

John S.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:51:33 PM
From the description, it seems it's a connection that is easily disturbed mechanically. That could be a bad solder joint (covered with solder, looks good, but solder is touching the wire instead of wetting it) as has been said. We say that all the time because it's most often the problem. But other possibilities are poor switch or socket connections, for example.

Does the problem occur with all three inputs? That's a test of the selector switch.

Another one that has come up recently on the forum somewhere is wires that get nicked when stripping, then break later right at the end of the insulation. It's very hard to see, and the insulation holds the parts close together so that slight mechanical shocks can make or break the connection. Usually wiggling each wire one at a time will make this one obvious ...

Another one is a mechanical connection that was not actually soldered.

Paul Joppa

Offline marantzfan

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:12 AM
I've done some poking around and I don't see anything.  I will try the different inputs and also retest voltages and report back. 

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline marantzfan

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
Well, tried the other inputs and the problem is still the same.  Touching either the volume or selctor switch does nothing but tapping on the top plate brings the left channel back on for a minute or less (random).

I'm guessing the volume knob?  Which is the left channel, top or bottom?

BeePre, Paramounts 1.1, Eros, Thorens TD-124/AudioMods Tonearm/Ortofon 2M Black, IFI Micro Idsd, HQPlayer,  Altec 604-8G Duplex/620 Cabinets/Markwart Crossovers

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 07:22:27 PM
I should have mentioned the chopstick test as well - it's clumsy and dangerous voltages are exposed, but sometimes it helps when nothing else does.

Paul Joppa

Offline howardnair

Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 06:28:46 AM
marantz-hook the stereomour up to speakers and source-turn them on -gently jiggle the inputs the speaker connections and the tubes-that will probably show you nothing-if not- next is turn the unit over or on its side-everything hooked up --now this can be dangerous so make sure the unit is stable-turn everything on-put your left hand in your pocket-get a pencil or chopstick [since this is the left channel left channel only or terminals common to both] and tap or push gently whichever seems prudent the inputs ,selector switch etc- on down the line-now if this again shows nothing unplug the unit- then get a solder sucker and redo  either all joints or just do a select section and try again with powering up-

Offline howardnair

Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:17:58 AM
marantzfan-- how have you made out with your problem?????

Offline marantzfan

Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 05:32:07 AM
Life kind of got in the way for a little bit there; I hate it when that happens.   :-\

I am going to dig back into this either tonight or tomorrow night and see if I can get it figured out.  I can't wait to just turn it on and listen finally. 

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701

Offline Grainger49

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:10 AM
It will happen.  I haven't had a problem with my monoblock (this phrase tickles me) Paramours since I built them 6 years ago.  The Stereomour is a single chassis of almost the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:04:44 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline marantzfan

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 11:55:13 AM
Well, in case anyone was wondering, I did get this sorted out pretty easily shortly after the last post here.  I had a flaky connection to one of the pins on the 12AT7 socket.  I cut a fresh piece of wire and re-soldered it and voila, perfect.   ;)

S.E.X. 2.1, AKG K701