Whammodyne Tweeter

yairisan · 2525

Offline yairisan

on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:21 PM
Any recommendations for a replacement for the original Whammo tweeter? Mine are disintegrating!

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:56:21 PM
Read this thread:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3751.msg33906.html#msg33906

the last post by me (Jan 30 2013) has my best advice. Be sure to get the phenolic diaphragm if you go this way, the titanium has better specs but sounds like overstressed tinfoil!

Paul Joppa

Offline yairisan

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:35 PM
Thanks, Brainiac!

Still remember the little monthly Jiffy of Valve mag in the letterbox. Happy times.

It's the original Whammos, not the S8 (I got the S8 kit over a decade ago, but the Japanese postal system posted half of it back, then everything went tits up for me here, and got left by the wayside.)

I considered the ST, since it has made its way into the S8 for some people.

By the way, I installed the Whammo's in a friend's HT setup, and watched Castaway - the Whammo's make watching the airplane crash sequence utterly compelling. The Whammo's go LOUD.

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:04 AM
Guess I was posting too late at night! Sorry, I don't even have any notes on the Whammos! Efficient tweeters are still hard to come by, especially if you want to cross below 6kHz. But I don't remember what was in the Whammo, or what the midrange efficiency/sensitivity/impedance were. Maybe DocB. will have a memory cell left when he's back from Chicago?

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:21:48 AM
IIRC the crossover is described in the original Superwhamodyne article on the archives. It used the same tweeter as the Straight 8, and I bet the Selenium tweeter would work well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline yairisan

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:52:04 AM
Cheers, fellas!