Blumenstein DIY?

WK3K · 3476

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:31 AM
Maybe this is more a brainstorm than a question, but what with the great reputation of Blumenstein Audio, and their involvement on this forum, it would be awesome if they had a DIY or Flatpack offering. Does such a thing exist that I'm not aware of? Maybe someday we could look forward to a BlumenBottle?

Daydreaming....

Witold

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Wanderer

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:22:27 AM
Interesting idea. Would the "Ikea like" assembly proceedures from the days of the Straight 8 be applicable to a "BlumenBottle"?   

Kevin R-M

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:51:28 PM
Cool idea. Im building the microfonkens for my desktop from a flat pack with the ff85wkEn driver from planet 10 to replace my upgraded orcas.
On another note my fostex 6.5" have finally broken in and ive been hitting that sweet wow that sounds good spot all day!
And i figured out it is the squeezebox picking up the local walkietalkies not the fp3.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by tsingle999 »

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:11:47 AM
Hi there, I am actually working on something as a sortof a kit right now bit its so weird and unorthodox i need to actually try the design concept it before I talk about any details.  Thanks in advance for respecting my wishes.

Until then, the thrashers are currently being sold as "finished speakers" at "kit prices" ... without the hours of woodwork being required.  We are currently in the process of securing parts and undergoing a large production run of them right now.  Stay tuned!

Tsingle, those should be decent desktop monitors for you.  Are the orcas going somewhere else?

Clark

Offline tsingle999

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:38:49 AM
Cant wait to see ur idea Clark!
Ya the orca deluxe will fit on my new to me orca subs and be my main speakers! The abbys will end up in the bedroom system or hung upside down in my new loft space when i move in.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:25:29 PM
Taran,

One of my best friends, Reggie Mace of Mace Mead Works has had a pair of dayton ps200/abby speakers he and I built for vocal PA use hung upside down from his tall western saloon ceilings. A bit bright and lispy but overall nice once equ'ed.  I bet those ff165wk abby's are much better behaved though.  The pair of ff165wk abbys that I hooked up last summer for harry zweeben (previously a co -owner of "Two Bald Guys Audio, Portland OR) has been breaking in nicely according to his reports.  I'm also really stoked to hook up your FF165WK all OSB Thrashers too!  If you've got the space its fun all around with big speakers.  Lately the shop has been rocking out hard with a hafler dh200 and well broken in 2 tone Thrashers.  I'm gonna need to dial back the amplification soon.  The volume capability of this system with solid state is far too much for the space.  I was actually really enjoying an old set of Paramour II 2A3's before that.  I'll be returning to those amps shortly after performing some minor maintainence and repairs. 

Clark

Offline tsingle999

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:47:07 PM
Ya you gave me the idea to hang them upside down base off probably in the corners. I do have the 165esr's enabled in the abbys. They are finally breaking in and sound great right now. They are more balanced And not as powerful bass as the 165wk's but more toneful bass. Thats why i im getting the thrasherz for the 165wk's. The esr's are a keeper in the abbys!

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:40:25 PM
Great news Clark! I'll be keeping a close eye on things - I'm headed home for a visit in Seattle next month and can't wait to swing by your shop!

Enthusiastic Regards,

Witold

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX