Mundorf EVO's in the crossover...

earwaxxer · 5614

Offline earwaxxer

on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:10 PM
Count me as impressed! I bought a couple of these on a whim from Partsxpress. $50 for the pair delivered for 10uf. I got the aluminum/oils. I pulled the AmpOhm paper/oils and secured them in. It was a little disconcerting at first. The AmpOhms must be 20x the size! Its shocking how compact the EVO's are. I'm listening to them now, after about 10hrs on the clock

I like to put my parts in nude. No burn in. I want to hear it all. Warts and all. They sounded quite good from the get go. A bit rolled off in the highs at first. Very nice mids compared to the AmpOhms! Recognized that right away. I also had the AmpOhms bypassed with a Mundorf silver/oil, that improved the sound by cleaning up the highs and tightening things up a bit. The EVO's, so far, do not benefit from the same bypass. Very interesting. What I liked about the AmpOhms was the large staging. EVO's have all that and more. Nice timber, not harsh. A very good example of an oil IMO.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:50 PM
Keep us posted as they awake. My Jupiter's are in the burn in machine. 100 hours was not near enough.

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:24:51 PM
Curious as to you impression after 100hrs... Please do tell!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:28:47 PM
Interesting. Good tone, veiled, didn't image well, not there yet. Enough so I emailed the company. I'm going to treat them like Tefleons and out another 300 hours on them before listening again. They have potential for sure!

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:28 PM
Interesting! - thanks!

Eric

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
That might be the difference between your tube power amp stage and my SS. Just a thought. You might be better with something closer to a teflon or silver/gold/oil. Again, just a thought....

Eric

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 04:47:54 PM
BeePre we are talking here.  Not sure how to compare it. I don't want anything brighter for sure! Horns can be painful!

Aaron Johnson

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:59:35 PM
So, they were a tad on the bright side? Interesting. I got the opposite.

Like you say though, the horns can kick your ass. I had some SpeakerLab horns based speakers that I built in the 70's. Concert level sound for sure if you wanted it. I put them in my dorm room windows on the 15th floor and cranked them with a 200wpc SAE behind them. Serious concert sound. Someone told me they were in town miles away and heard them. Of course I was reprimanded by the campus authorities. Back then you could get away with that stuff... "good old days".

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 06:50:12 PM
Just a note in this thread - I have seen more often than not caps which sound OK at first, then get worse after some 10 hours of music, then get good again after 30-50 hours.

From a technical perspective, it seems plausible that the speed of break in will depend on the signal level (volts? amps? Something else?) so any attempt at assigning hours to the effect is likely doomed to failure. We already know that the materials have different behavior. So the numbers above are likely meaningless.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:39 AM
Yes Paul but it gives you a point of reference and that's all I'm aiming for when I put the numbers up there. With the small signal level of the BeePre I expect for the cap to take a little longer than say if it were in a Parafeed position. 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:42:44 AM
   .  .  .    I also had the AmpOhms bypassed with a Mundorf silver/oil, that improved the sound by cleaning up the highs and tightening things up a bit.

So to get a 1:1 comparison you need the Silver/Oil bypassing the Al/Oil.

Or are you saying you tried it and didn't like during the "dreaded break-in period?"

And HEY!  Do you guys not know about my patented painless break-in method? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:45:17 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:03 AM
Yep, the S/O bypass had no noticeable affect on the AL/O. Unlike the P/O

Eric

Offline Chris

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM
"I like to put my parts in nude. No burn in. I want to hear it all. Warts and all'...... damn , we love it when you talk dirty.....

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 12:04:14 PM
Yep, the S/O bypass had no noticeable affect on the AL/O. Unlike the P/O

Maybe after break-in?

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:53 PM
That's quite possible Grange - my impression without breakin is that the highs are a bit "rolled off". It's possible that they will open up and the bypass will be more noticeable.

Eric