BH withdrawal syndrome

denti alligator · 1448

Offline denti alligator

on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:00 AM
I haven't built a BH kit in almost two years. It's not easy. Funding is an issue right now, so I just have to sit patient. Unfortunately, besides the DAC (which I understand will require minimal assembly) the kits I want are on the expensive side (Paramounts and BeePre). Fighting withdrawal with kit tinkering and upgrades isn't giving me the fix I need.

I've been keeping plenty busy with listening to the system I've got (which is awesome) and of course writing (work), but I can't imagine going another year without a fix.

Just sharing...

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:19 AM
I know the feeling, i've been thinking about reconditioning a pair of vintage speakers and wondering what amp i would need to drive them, i.e. would the Stereomour be sufficient.  Though i did wonder if it would make a good headphone amp.     ....just kidding :P

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:25 AM
I know the feeling, i've been thinking about reconditioning a pair of vintage speakers and wondering what amp i would need to drive them, i.e. would the Stereomour be sufficient.  Though i did wonder if it would make a good headphone amp.     ....just kidding :P

lol I have a interesting pair of well regarded 70's speakers on watch list right now! For very much the same reason, there is well documented and popular crossover modification for them that and some Zebrano veneer will transform the original cabinets and would yield something rather nice for less than £75-100 all in.   

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:02:19 AM
Do tell, i already have a set of speakers set aside so there will be no bidding wars :)

The set i have in mind my father bought new in the early 70's, but the foam on the main driver fell apart with age so they have been in the attic for the last 10-15 years. Problem is i wouldn't know a good cabinet design if fell over it, hence i cant decide if i should spend money rebuilding them, or start with something else. All i know is they sounded good when i was younger.

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:33:45 AM
Mark, I will keeping it to myself for the time being, I will say they are 26.7 Kg each!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:07 AM
Since finishing my amp kit build and upgrading my Reduction and my speakers I'm running out of things to work on.  I still have some caps to swap and the shunt regulator in the Reduction to replace but then I will have nothing.  Fortunately my rig sounds fantastic so I won't be too miserable. ;)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline RayP

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:51:26 PM
Another way to deal with the problem is to design an amplifier but not actually build it. For example, select the output tube you would want to use and design your amp. There are plenty of existing designs out there on the net. Then use what you learned when you built your BH kit about placing components to come up with your own version. Think about what components you would use.

Then don't build it. Treat the exercise as fodder for the mind and when you are done, move on to other tubes or topologies. When it comes time to purchase and build your next kit, you should have a much better idea of why the kit is so good.

ray

Ray Perry