Doc's Reference System Question

Tim G. · 604

Offline Tim G.

on: March 14, 2019, 09:23:14 AM
I've been doing some experimenting with ribbon tweeters on my S8's with some good results. Currently running some Fountek Neo 3 ribbons that sound pretty good with the woofer array.   Reading the post about the reference speaker system that sold got me curious about the RAAL ribbon tweeters.  Was there something about that specific tweeter that stood out to you to incorporate it in your system, or was it just one of many that just ended up being the final choice?  The price on those is a bit out of just buying it to try as an experiment so I was just curious.  I searched the forum, but didn't find a thread discussing that build but if there is one please point me in that direction.

Thanks!
Tim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:23:22 PM
They have a low published resonance frequency and that seems to be the case when one listens. The issue I had with other ribbons was what seemed to be a cavity resonance in the 2.4kHz or so region. The RAALs have it down below 2kHz IIRC, and that makes crossover design a lot easier.

There is no thread discussing the build. These were my personal speakers and as such I didn't publish about the design development.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tim G.

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:49 AM
Thank you very much for the info.  I've enjoyed the tinkering and sound out of the entry level ribbons I've tried, maybe in the future I'll just need to take it to the next level.  May end up with the most pimped out straight 8's out there! 

Thanks
Tim