DAC crowdfunding now in progress

Doc B. · 43558

Offline johnsonad

Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 03:49:26 PM
Thanks for the update Dan. How many DAC's are you going to get out initially and what is your expected turn around for the rest of the first run?

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:48 PM
It depends upon the timing of this last adjustment. We have eight of the 25 cables that were ordered. So if the programming fix is quick we might ship those ASAP. If the fix takes a few days we might have the rest of the cables by then and be able to ship more. I will keep everyone posted.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #107 on: February 13, 2015, 06:11:50 AM
Hey Dan, et al,

I just have to say thanks for the updates and transparency throughout this process.  It is, I think, a unique model of new product development and introduction (at least in my experience - I don't count Kickstarter projects because I have learned delivery is anything but guaranteed), and I sincerely appreciate it.

thanks!

David

Offline John Swenson

Reply #108 on: February 14, 2015, 03:34:26 PM
The flash chips used in the prototypes were not available anywhere on the planet, so the board house had to use a slightly different model that was supposed to be completely compatible, but it turned out it had a different "device ID", the programmer was checking the ID and wouldn't program it.

I had to create a custom flash configuration and compile the program for that, then it worked. So crisis resolved.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline johnsonad

Reply #109 on: February 14, 2015, 03:57:14 PM
Thank you John!  Looking forward to receiving mine soon!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #110 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:44 PM
I may be overly bold here, but that seems to be the last impediment to getting some DACs assembled and burning in. I requested that John be sent our adapter for programming the flash chips as well as a DAC board, just to rule out that the adapter might be the problem. As I already mentioned the main programmer that sets up the software for the FPGA seems to be working great. So once the adapter gets back here to the lab PB will start turnin' 'em and burnin' 'em.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #111 on: February 14, 2015, 04:45:28 PM
I may be overly bold here, but that seems to be the last impediment to getting some DACs assembled and burning in.
Wait, I thought I was the last impediment?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #112 on: February 14, 2015, 07:18:02 PM
More like the final hurdle.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #113 on: February 14, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
More like the final hurdle.

Sounds like you've been promoted, PB!

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #114 on: February 15, 2015, 06:38:59 AM
Nothing is ever easy is it...John

John S.

Offline feeench

Reply #115 on: February 15, 2015, 08:20:21 AM
Yes.

If you mean are you able to control the volume ahead of the DAC, that will depend upon your setup. If, for example, you are using a computer and a player like Amarra, then yes, you can control output level in Amarra. If you use the DAC via coax or TOSLINK with a CD player that has no volume control, the DAC itself does not have a level control in the firmware. You would adjust level at the preamp or amp that it is connected to.

This is confusing. Although I think I have the answer I need, which is in bold. I would like clarification. I understand that volume can be controlled in your music player via software, that should be obvious. I was wondering if we have any control over the output levels of the DAC directly through the OS. (ie. my odac can be controlled using the volume keys on my keyboard) From what Doc wrote above, it looks like the answer to what I'm asking is no. I can assume a constant output then (when all software volume is at 100%), in all situations, correct?

Good to see the first run of DACs are almost out the door, I'm eagerly awaiting to hear people's responses.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #116 on: February 15, 2015, 08:40:19 AM
I may be overly bold here, but that seems to be the last impediment to getting some DACs assembled and burning in.  .  .  .  .   

You have passed bold.  I have said something like this to a production manager in troubleshooting situations and learned to regret it.

I wish you much better luck!  I really want to see this succeed.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #117 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:47 AM
Better to be overly bold than underly timid....I think...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #118 on: February 15, 2015, 09:01:23 AM
Not necessarily true when downtime is charged at $25,000 an hour.  I prefer to be like Scotty on Star Trek.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #119 on: February 15, 2015, 09:25:32 AM
Yes that is correct, the DAC does not include software for volume control. You would adjust level in the player software or at the preamp that the DAC is connected to.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.