Possible S.E.X. 3.0 manual errors/improvements

troplin · 1065

Offline troplin

on: February 19, 2017, 03:34:33 AM
Just to be clear: The manual is already very detailed and of high quality.

However, during the build of the amplifier I noted a few points that I found a bit unclear or not optimal. The points might be obvious to someone with a bit of experience but I'm almost a total newbie.

• Soldering tabs are much easier to bend before mounting them. Most of them have almost no space between them and the top plate, it's almost impossible to fit even a fine plier. I had to use a kitchen knife to get below the tab at one point. After that I always bent them beforehand.
  • (page 16) The shoulder washers fit only very tightly in the holes of the 6-lug terminal strip. I had to clip them into the holes first, then mounting everything together. The manual doesn't even mention to ensure that the washers are really in the holes.
    The 8-lug strip on page 16 OTOH is a bit different and was no problem at all.
  • The last point on page 36 and the first point on page 37 don't mention stripping the wire. It's kind of obvious that you have to do it but given how detailed the manual is, it's still a bit irritating.
  • Page 39 bottom: It doesn't mention removing the tubes after the glow test. I still did it because I didn't want to risk any damage.
  • Page 45, second point: Attach the other end to 27L.
  • Page 46, first point: I found it much easier to attach the stranded wires of the PC after tinning them first.
  • Page 51, first point: the striped lead is soldered twice. ([...] attach and solder the striped lead [...] Solder both .)
  • Page 59 (already mentioned in another thread): The voltages of Terminals 28 and 29 should be ∞Ohm instead of 0Ohm, they are isolated with shoulder washers and acorn nuts.
  • The manual doesn't mention attaching the volume knob. How to attach is obvious, but how should I align it? Symmetrically (i.e. 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock) or asymmetrically (6 o'clock to 4 o'clock)?

Tobias

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:54:24 AM
The manual doesn't mention attaching the volume knob. How to attach is obvious, but how should I align it? Symmetrically (i.e. 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock) or asymmetrically (6 o'clock to 4 o'clock)?

Try it both ways and see which sounds the best.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline troplin

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:15:05 AM

Yeah, great  ;D
I just thought maybe there is a convention how to do it.
I'm pretty sure attaching it symmetrically will sound better though, so I'm going that way. And as a bonus I can turn up the volume higher until it gets too loud....

Tobias

Offline corndog71

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:52:36 AM

:o ;D :D  Hilariously excellent advice!

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob