NewTubes for my BeePre

thdewitt · 1462

Offline thdewitt

on: September 12, 2015, 05:27:38 AM
Good Morning,  I just purchased two JJ 300B tubes new from Tube Depot.  I was wondering, one tube is very noisy.  Just a slight tap and I get a lot of ring and noise.  The other tube is very solid with no ringing or noise.  Do you think new tubes are guaranteed for this type of noise.  I mean, I don't hear much when I am playing music but I don't have the best ears either.  But one tube is definitely different from the other in regards to noise to the slightest of tapping.

thanks,
Tom

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 04:49:04 PM
300B's are typically not tested for microphonics, at least not the new production ones.  The lead rings help a lot if you have a sensitive tube.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline thdewitt

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 05:51:50 PM
OK, thanks, so I guess you are saying I can't return it just because I think it is noisy.  I do have some lead rings.  I guess I will just put them on.

Thanks,
Tom

Eros Telefunken EF806S and Telefunken E88CC
BeePre JJ 300B
Paramount 1.1 EH 300B
Stereomour JJ 2a3-40 and Mullard CV4024
Crack Tung Sol 5998  Mullard CV 4003
Thorens TD 160 Super (Vinyl Nirvana)
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe/Dungenus Sub
Blumenstein Mako Floorstanders Chocolate Bamboo

Offline Horatio

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:19:31 PM
For what its worth, I have a BeePre (300B EH) and also Paramounts (300B Carbon Princess). My kit is not the most isolated, far from it, it sits on a wooden "sideboard" that in turn sits on a wooden floor. When I first turn the kit on I get some "Clanks" and "pings" as the tubes warm up. If there is no music playing and I walk heavily by, or for that matter you have a loud noise like a dog barking next to the equipment, the vibrations can absolutely be VERY audible, however if music is playing I rarely if ever hear anything other than the music.

On the BeePre with stock EH tubes I have rubber 'O' rings sitting between the BeePre and the tube to dampen vibrations and also Herbie Audio's HAL-O III-65 C Rings around the widest parts of the tubes.

I find that I only need those additional items on the BeePree tubes, I run with nothing on the Paramounts.

Hope this helps!