Do fancy strippers work?

ironbut · 8516

Offline ironbut

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 09:13:54 PM
Thanks for all your great input guys!
I did end up buying an Ideal stripper and so far, I like it for the larger stuff. I just adjusted my cheap Kleins to the 21/22 AWG solid wire for the other stuff.

BTW I use a good bit of shielded wire and I just use my break-away blade knifes for that. I usually use the same shielded wire so I'm used to what I have to do to keep from cutting through or nicking the shield. I think the key to that is to lightly cut all the way around, then bend the wire at the cut before I go back and finish cutting the jacket(s) off. That way I can see where it still need slicing. The problems arise as you continue to cut in areas that are already sliced through.

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 01:14:58 AM
If you need to strip the twisted shielded pair (TSP) in a Bottlehead kit I have used a pocket knife.  I don't know if there is a specific tool that will do it without nicking the individual conductors.  If you need to strip coax, RG-59 or RG-6, there are specific tools made for that Radio Shack used to stock one that cuts and strips for an F connector.

Offline bobster

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 01:45:56 AM
Fancy or plain, all strippers should have the opportunity to work.  Personally, I prefer watching the fancy ones.  ;=)

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland