S.E.X amp and speaker combination

jeffrey · 3151

Offline jeffrey

on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:26 PM
Hi,

At the moment I have some speakers that my parents bought before I was born that they're not using and I was wondering if they might work with the s.e.x amp. I know that these speakers are not ideal for this amp but I'm hoping someone could tell me if it'll at least function until I get around to building better speakers.

90db/watt sensitivity
8 ohm impedance
They're from some company called "2000 Acustics" (sic) and the model number is 87-810, if that means anything to anyone.

They're way less efficient than what is suggested, but if I use these speakers I won't ever be farther than 2 meters from them in a very small room (I plan to use them with my computer). I'm planning to build something like the s.e.xy speakers but I don't really have enough time or money to do both at the same time (I live in canada, so it's extremely expensive to ship things here, and even more expensive to buy things locally) and it doesn't really make sense to build speakers if I don't have an amp to use them with!

Is it worth trying to get this amp to work with these speakers, at least temporarily?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:41:55 PM
They will probably work fine as long as you aren't trying to impress your friends with live concert levels.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:15:17 PM
I use a SEX amp with 89dB JBL L36s, in a very small room, in my video system. They work well for me, they can get too loud for me without clipping. It's not a movie theater, but then I take earplugs to movie theaters since I want to preserve my hearing for later use.

Paul Joppa

Offline jamestw

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41:14 AM
I too use my SEX2.1 with 89db/8ohm JBL 4425s. Very satisfied with this combination, never felt it has not enough the power.
I also DIY a pair of Frugel-Horn mk3 for SEX2.1 early of this year, using Fostex FE126en drivers they are 93db/8ohm a little more efficiency and sounding quite nicely to me(but my wood works were too lousy). You can get the kit from Canada and save a lot of shipping costs.

james
(BTW. I have NO any conflicts of interest with the frugel-horn company.)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:43:39 AM by jamestw »

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:09:13 AM
They're from some company called "2000 Acustics" (sic) and the model number is 87-810, if that means anything to anyone.

Your 2000 Acustics *may* be early "White Van Speakers" from the 1980s (yes, it goes back that far).  While I didn't find that brand name on the WVS manufacturer list, it's close enough.  The bottom line is that you won't get close to the performance capabilities of your Bottlehead equipment with those speakers but they are fine as a temporary solution.  If you are not familiar with the term, google "White Van Speakers".  The Wiki page is a good place to start.   

Gerry                       

Offline proud indian

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:04:34 AM
I use the Decware Fostex speakers in open baffle. I have now added the quickie, which is breaking in. It is LOUD, and I can just about get it to the 12 oclock position.

shreekant :)

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.