Subwoofer placement

butchbass · 3314

Offline butchbass

on: September 28, 2013, 07:43:12 AM
I've got a Dungeness sub-woofer from Blumenstein on order and was wondering how it might sound sitting on a wall bracket similar to the one Clark has made for the Orcas. I realize the bracket would have  to be a bit beefier with bracing underneath.  Has anyone tried this or is the best place for it on the floor?

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline Chris

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:25:46 PM
Not to be funny or a smartass in any way shape or form...but, try asking Clark... if, you havent already...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:14 PM
I've got a Dungeness sub-woofer from Blumenstein on order and was wondering how it might sound sitting on a wall bracket similar to the one Clark has made for the Orcas. I realize the bracket would have  to be a bit beefier with bracing underneath.  Has anyone tried this or is the best place for it on the floor?

While you "could" do that, it would seem to be pretty tough to determine the placement easily. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:53 PM
Maybe could do it the classic way?... put the sub where you intend to sit and listen (listening chair area), play music and walk around the room and the point (area) where you think the sub sounds the best can be a place to start.....

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:41:59 PM
Not to be funny or a smartass in any way shape or form...but, try asking Clark... if, you havent already...

No sweat man!  I was hanging back to see if anyone else had any experience with this specific setup (wallmounts) actually because we havent tried it yet ourselves.  However, i dont see a problem with it theoretically or practically...the sub sounds great on a table between the speakers or even in a corner. We were thinking of trying a wall mount out ourselves in our own home setup before commenting. 

As expected, The ultra low (30-50) seems pleasantly boosted with floor/corner placement, yet I wouldnt characterize the sub's design as necessitating either floor or table/shelf placement to integrate the best (the boost from floor/corner placement is measurably and audibly small). 

So i guess, sorry to not have any definitive answers yet! 

Will try this soon.

Best,

Clark

Offline butchbass

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
When I get my Dungeness I will try several different placements. With a little imagination it won't be hard to rig up some temporary supports for different heights etc. I will post my observations when I get some empirical data. Thanks for the replies.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline Reap

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:29:50 AM
I see a few things written up on bass placement in the home and I always think that one my Klipsch speakers, the bass is just below the horns. I've never noticed an error with the placement. I know it's not much to go on, but I've never thought it sounded out of lace.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:53:41 AM
Reap, which Klipsch speakers do you have?

I was listening to one of the best Klipsch I have ever heard, modified La Scalas, on Friday at a friend's house.  They were stunning!

If you want good suggestions we need to know the room dimensions, the speaker placement (forward and side distances from the walls) and your listening position in the room.

Offline Clark B.

• Enjoying Single Drivers & SET's since 2006
    • Blumenstein Audio
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:15:17 AM
Nice,

I can report back as well that Dungeness wallmounting does work.  Our current wallmount design works for them.  They are overspec'ed to begin with.

Cheers,

Clark