Missing a washer ;(

ArtnShit · 1238

Offline ArtnShit

on: February 08, 2022, 05:32:50 AM
Hello,

I am missing a microscopic washer, most likely just user-error. Due to the size, I am not sure I will find it.

It's a #4 Fiber Shoulder Washer that appears on page 17 of the Kaiju build manual. Is this something I will be able to find locally? How essential is this washer?

Thanks!

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:54:41 AM
Where is local? Like what part of the country/world are you in?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 05:58:37 AM
Brooklyn! NYC metro area is all accessible to me. I want to continue this build as quickly as possible :).

Additionally, I ordered some of these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/534-3231 Are they the same? If not, not a big deal, very cheap.

Another question - I have one of the tube sockets in place, but the fiber-mounted 3-lug strip still moves around even though it's fully tightened. Is this normal?

Thanks!

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 06:14:09 AM
3049 is the one you want. 

If you can obtain a heatsink mounting kit locally at an electronics shop or surplus shop, the insulating shoulder washer that would come in that kit would be the right size.  If your local hardware store has a plastic 4-40 screw and a plastic #4 washer, those can be used with the acorn nut to hold the terminal strip on without it touching the chassis.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline ArtnShit

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 05:00:12 AM
Quick follow-up question - the washer I do have installed will not tighten enough that the 3-tab lug doesn't move. Is that normal? It is secured onto the faceplate but still pivots pretty easily.

Thanks!

a&s

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 05:49:27 AM
If the strip moves a little, that's not the end of the world.  I a little super glue can be dabbed between the terminal strip and the chassis to hold it in place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland